HoopsHype Cuttino Mobley rumors

August 9, 2013 Updates

Cuttino Mobley has agreed to dismiss his amended complaint against Madison Square Garden over the heart condition that resulted in his 2008 retirement, according to court documents filed Friday. Both sides agreed to have the case dismissed "with prejudice," meaning Mobley's claims against the Knicks and their parent company cannot be brought again. No court costs or legal fees are due either side, the attorneys agreed in papers filed with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. CBSSports.com

June 4, 2013 Updates

The 37-year-old recently worked out for NBA teams and hopes to be on a roster next season, but he doesn’t like to characterize his potential return to the NBA as a comeback. He prefers to look at this as just his latest stint in the league. “I haven’t gone nowhere,” Mobley told HOOPSWORLD. “I’ve been in shape. I’m maybe six or seven pounds over my playing weight. That’s 222 and I haven’t played in, what, four and a half years? I’m a very disciplined person. I played every game and averaged 40 minutes. Comeback? Eh, I mean, if you want to call it that… I think I can still go a little bit.” HoopsWorld

He doesn’t like to view this as a comeback because he didn’t really leave the game on his own terms. When he announced his retirement in December of 2008, it was because he didn’t think he had any other choice. He had just been diagnosed with a heart ailment called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, the same illness that took the lives of Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers in the 1990s. He assumed that his basketball career was over, but he later learned that’s not necessarily the case. Mobley has been evaluated by doctors since then and has been cleared to play. He wants everyone around the NBA to realize that he’s medically able to resume his career. “I have the records that show it, I’ve passed my physical and nothing has changed since I came into the league as far as my body goes,” Mobley said. “It’s just about what team is going to take the chance or look at the evidence first, to put it that way. It’s like CSI. Look at the evidence first.” HoopsWorld

May 31, 2013 Updates
May 29, 2013 Updates
May 15, 2013 Updates

Cuttino Mobley hasn’t played in an NBA game since November 19, 2008. However, the 37-year-old is hoping to change that next season. Mobley is looking to attempt an NBA comeback after retiring nearly five years ago due to the heart ailment hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. On May 31, ASM Sports will be holding a pro-day for their draft prospects as well as their veteran free agents. Mobley will be one of the free agents participating in the veteran sessions, according to the agency. HoopsWorld

March 31, 2013 Updates
June 20, 2012 Updates

Cuttino Mobley’s lawsuit against the Knicks claiming discrimination in their diagnosis of a career-threatening heart condition was thrown out of court. Judge Deborah A. Batts of the South District of New York granted a motion to dismiss the disability discrimination lawsuit, ruling Mobley did not prove he could perform his job after the Knicks’ diagnosis. Mobley never played a game for the Knicks after they obtained him in a November 2009 trade along with Tim Thomas. Mobley argued the Knicks rendered the diagnosis so as to save money on his salary and clear up cap space. New York Post

June 14, 2012 Updates

A federal judge Wednesday dismissed Cuttino Mobley’s lawsuit against Madison Square Garden for forcing him to retire from the Knicks in 2008, soon after being acquired, because of a heart condition. Deborah A. Batts, a federal district court judge in Manhattan, said that Mobley had not proven he could perform his job after he received a diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can make the heart work harder to pump blood, from his doctors. Batts wrote that the Knicks did not have to accommodate Mobley by letting him play with a defibrillator implanted to shock his heart to life if it stopped. If the Knicks believed his condition “posed a direct threat to him,” Batts said, “they were not required to engage in the accommodation process.” New York Times

November 16, 2011 Updates

Former NBA guard Cuttino Mobley has filed a lawsuit against Madison Square Garden, accusing the New York Knicks of pressuring him to retire in 2008 as a way to save money. Mobley retired because of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a heart disease, shortly after the Knicks acquired him from the Los Angeles Clippers. He knew he had an irregularity with the heart, but an MRI exam revealed the more serious condition. ESPN.com

Mobley claims the Knicks pulled that stunt to save money in payments toward the NBA's "luxury tax" for teams with high payrolls, and also to clear "room under the salary cap in their request to retain the services of other [marquee] players." "Mobley's career was effectively ended," says the disability discrimination suit in Manhattan federal court filed by the retired journeyman guard, who before being signed by the Knicks in 2008 had played for the Los Angeles Clippers, leading them to within a game of the Western Conference Finals in 2006.He also played for the Houston Rockets, Orlando Magic and Sacramento Kings. New York Post

“Although we understand Cuttino Mobley's frustration with the effects of his illness, we are extremely disappointed in his recent actions," a Knicks spokesman said. "When the Knicks obtained Cuttino in November of 2008, the team fully expected him to be our starting shooting guard. It was a significant set-back to our team when we learned he would not be able to play following initial reports from his physical. The team and Cuttino agreed he would then see top experts, including doctors at Tufts Medical Center in Boston and additional experts, for various opinions." New York Post

"On the day of his retirement, Cuttino publicly stated that he had no choice but to follow the advice of the doctors and step away from the league. We are confident Cuttino’s claims have no merit and will not prevail," the spokesman said. A source close to the team backed that account, saying team then-Knicks president Donnie Walsh was "devastated" by Mobley's retirement. New York Post

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.