HoopsHype FIBA rumors

August 3, 2014 Updates
August 2, 2014 Updates

In the wake of Paul George's gruesome leg fracture suffered Friday while on Team USA duty, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has renewed his call for the NBA and its players to organize their own quadrennial competition separate from the sport's international governing body. Long known as the NBA's most outspoken critic of international basketball, Cuban has again questioned when NBA teams allow their players to play for their national teams while taking on the bulk of the financial risk in the event of injury. ESPN.com

"The (International Olympic Committee) is playing the NBA. The IOC is an organization that has been rife with corruption, to the point where a member was accused of trying to fix an Olympic event in Salt Lake. The IOC (pulls in) billions of dollars. They make a killing and make Tony Soprano look like a saint. "The pros in multiple sports are smart enough to not play when they are eligible free agents. But teams take on huge financial risk so that the IOC committee members can line their pockets. "The greatest trick ever played was the IOC convincing the world that the Olympics were about patriotism and national pride instead of money. The players and owners should get together and create our own World Cup of Basketball." ESPN.com

Marc Stein: NBA deal w/FIBA states that its teams can't bar players from international comp unless there's "reasonable medical concern" going in. So that would suggest NBA teams won't be able to put up any more resistance to international play unless/until its deal with FIBA changes Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Warriors center Ognjen Kuzmic has a stress reaction in his left leg and will be sidelined for about four weeks, making him unable to participate in training for Serbia’s FIBA World Cup team. The 7-foot Kuzmic, who averaged 3.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in four NBA Summer League games last month, is expected to be ready for training camp, according to the Warriors. Contra Costa Times

July 30, 2014 Updates

Yet while much was made of Kevin Love's decision to not take part in this week's Las Vegas training camp or in the FIBA Basketball World Cup that is to come, Colangelo said the Minnesota Timberwolves forward hasn't lost any equity when it comes to his relationship with the program. And considering how emotional Love was when he broke the news to Colangelo last week, he certainly isn't questioning how much he cares. "Team or teams, trade or no trade, he's in a position where he had to say no and I respect that," Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports. "I mean the guy almost cried on the phone when he told me he couldn't play. He was really down. So can I be upset with him? No, of course not." USA Today Sports

Maurice Harkless has chosen not to play for Puerto Rico’s national basketball team this summer. The 21-year-old Orlando Magic swingman originally was set to train with Puerto Rico’s team and represent the commonwealth during the upcoming FIBA World Cup in Spain. But Harkless has decided to concentrate instead on preparing for the 2014-15 season, his third year in the NBA. “He wants to focus on the Magic and getting ready for his most important season to date,” Happy Walters, Harkless’ agent, told the Orlando Sentinel. Orlando Sentinel

July 29, 2014 Updates

David 'Dubi' Pick: FIBA have decided against Israel hosting Montenegro in EuroBasket QF. Games vs Holland & Bulgaria TBD on August 4th. Twitter @IAmDPick

July 28, 2014 Updates

The Spurs have sent Manu Ginobili a letter denying permission to participate in the FIBA Basketball World Cup later this summer, Express-News columnist Buck Harvey reported on Monday. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford cited an eight-week recovery span for the injury, which was discovered during exit physicals after the team crushed Miami in the Finals to clinch their fifth championship. With the Spurs playing their last game on June 15, that would have come perilously close to the start of the World Cup, which runs from Aug. 30 through Sept 14 in Spain. San Antonio Express-News

Gilas Pilipinas had its first official practice session Saturday in Miami, the start of a rigorous two-week training camp in preparation for the FIBA World Cup in Spain set Aug. 30 to Sept. 14. The first practice session also marked the first time that NBA veteran Andray Blatche joined the national team. Blatche was granted naturalization, thus allowing him to play for the Philippines in various international tournaments. The 6-foot-11 Blatche, who recently played for the Brooklyn Nets, posted a photo of his No. 11 Pilipinas jersey on his Instagram account @draylive, saying: “Very thankful #puso.” Yahoo! Sports Philippines

July 25, 2014 Updates

The ongoing saga of Manu Ginobili’s status for the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup took yet another turn after long-time national teammate/friend Luis Scola gave a scathing interview in the Argentine media threatening to boycott the event in light of rampant corruption within the country’s hoops federation. Ginobili is scheduled to receive an update on the stress fracture in his lower right leg on Friday. But even if healthy and cleared to participate, there now seems to be a chance that Ginobili and others could follow Scola’s lead if he does indeed follow through on his threat. San Antonio Express-News

As Scola told Hernan Sartori of Clarin, “Once you know and you stay involved, you become an accomplice. All we accomplished has been squandered. We have to keep fighting for transparency. But if this becomes a circus, I won’t be able to play anymore. I won’t be an accomplice.” Ginobili and Nocioni, among others, heartily endorsed his comments on Twitter. “The captain got angry and I’m great with that. Well said,” said Ginobili. Said Nocioni, “Embarrassment! I apologize because Argentine basketball does not deserve this!” San Antonio Express-News

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.