HoopsHype Fines rumors

September 23, 2014 Updates
September 22, 2014 Updates
September 17, 2014 Updates
September 14, 2014 Updates

After that game and the uproar which was created, fueled by a twitter comment made by Goran Dragic, FIBA announced that disciplinary proceedings against Australia were opened. According to FIBA bylaws Australia is facing a fine of up to 500.000 US dollars and/or suspension from international tournament play if found guilty. Boomers coach Andrej Lemanis also could face a fine of 100,000 US dollars or suspension if found to have willfully manipulated the result. The reaction of the Australian federation was a denial and also the will to cooperate in the proceedings. Eurohoops posed the question about the ongoing investigation, asking also if a draw after the end of the group phase in order to determine the couplings for the rest of the competition could be a future solution and the answer of Baumann was the following, implying that what happened in Spain can be used as an example for the future: “As you know there are open proceedings for this case. The point is that something like this can’t happen again in the future. As for the draw, we are happy with our current format and we are not expecting to change it”. EuroHoops.net

September 9, 2014 Updates

Vincent Goodwill: Monroe: “I take full responsibility for my actions and made a regrettable mistake. I apologize to my family, the Pistons’ organization, my teammates and fans. I will learn from this and continue my work to be a positive influence in the community.” Twitter @vgoodwill

September 8, 2014 Updates

Basketball's governing body is investigating if Australia deliberately lost a World Cup game to delay a possible matchup with the United States. FIBA says "it is widely suspected that Australia lost" on purpose to Angola in a Group D game last Thursday in Las Palmas, Spain. The Angolans won 91-83. FIBA says Australia's "on-court behavior... generated huge disappointment by basketball fans and experts." Associated Press

August 13, 2014 Updates

The NBA schedule typically produces some oddities, and the 2014-15 gives us this: Raymond Felton, newly acquired by the Dallas Mavericks, will make his season debut in Portland. Felton joined Dallas as part of the trade that took center Tyson Chandler back to Dallas from New York. Last week, Felton was suspended for the first four games of the NBA season after he pleaded guilty to a firearms charge. When the 2014-15 schedule came out Wednesday, whaddaya know, the fifth game of the Mavericks' season -- the first Felton will be eligible to play as a Dallas player -- will be against the Blazers at the Moda Center on Thursday, Nov. 6. The game will be broadcast by TNT. Oregonian

August 12, 2014 Updates
August 11, 2014 Updates
August 7, 2014 Updates

Felton was arrested in February after allegedly threatening his then-wife, Ariane Raymondo-Felton, with a gun shortly after a buzzer-beating loss to the Mavericks at the Garden. The two officially divorced last month after getting married in 2012. “I demonstrated poor judgment and I take full responsibility for my actions. Moving forward I’m eager to get to Dallas, to start fresh and make a positive impact in the Dallas metropolitan area,” Felton said in a statement. New York Post

July 23, 2014 Updates

Upon the player's request, the FIBA Disciplinary Panel held a hearing by telephone conference on 16 July 2014. The Panel rendered its decision on 21 July 2014 finding that Mr. Calathes has violated the FIBA Anti-doping Regulations and, therefore, he is ineligible to participate in FIBA Competitions for a period of four (4) months starting from 19 April 2014 until 18 August 2014 (including). During the period of ineligibility the player is not allowed to compete in any basketball game, including friendly games. The decision issued by the FIBA Disciplinary Panel is valid for FIBA and all National Member Federations of FIBA and has no impact on the existing NBA decision. The decision is subject to appeal within a period of 14 days to the FIBA Appeals’ Panel. Sportando

July 22, 2014 Updates

The National Basketball Association warned a touring group of its stars that they could face financial fines for participating in clinics in Manila, Philippines, that include short scrimmages and games of "H-O-R-S-E," league sources told Yahoo Sports. Several NBA stars, including Blake Griffin, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard and Damian Lillard, were scheduled to participate in promotional appearances in Manila this week, and the NBA has told its Players Association that the event organizers failed to gain league approval, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.