HoopsHype Fuenlabrada rumors

July 30, 2011 Updates

The NBA lockout isn't the only thing keeping the Charlotte Bobcats from signing their top draft pick. FIBA, basketball's international governing body, recently declined to provide the NBA clearance to sign forward Bismack Biyombo, the Observer has learned. Biyombo, drafted seventh overall in June, is still under contract to a Spanish team and the Spanish Federation is enforcing that contract. Charlotte Observer

In an email reply to an Observer inquiry, FIBA spokesman Andrew Robotham wrote: "The NBA has indeed requested a Letter of Clearance (LoC) for the Player Bismack Biyombo. In accordance with the NBA/FIBA Agreement, FIBA has contacted the Spanish Federation in order to obtain the LoC. "However, the Spanish Basketball Federation refused to issue the LoC in view of the fact that the Player is still under contract with a team in Spain." Charlotte Observer

June 29, 2011 Updates

However, TUBASKET.com knows after speaking with Biyombo's agent, Igor Crespo, that the Friday mediation session will be useless because both sides are as far apart as the first day the conflict started. So their differences will be resolved by a judge in the court to determine how much the player has to pay for the buyout -if there's one-. TuBasket.com

June 28, 2011 Updates

Charlotte Bobcats draft pick Bismack Biyombo and his Spanish club have scheduled a mediation session Friday in hopes of settling a dispute over the contract buyout required before he'd be allowed to play in the NBA. Jorge Sanz, spokesman for the Madrid-based team Fuenlabrada, said Biyombo has two seasons left on his deal and his buyout clause is more than $1.4 million. NBA rules say the Bobcats can't pay more than $500,000 toward a buyout. While Sanz said the team has accepted and won't fight the 18-year-old Congo native's desire to leave, it expects to receive the buyout. "We have to reach an agreement over the compensation for the club," Sanz said. "On July 1 there is a mediation session. We are asking for the million euros that is stated in his contract. If we don't reach an agreement, it will go to court and a judge will decide." ESPN.com

Biyombo, who is in Charlotte working out this week, told reporters Friday he was a "free agent" and the buyout wasn't a concern. "I'm going to play in the NBA next season, for sure, 100 percent," Biyombo said. Biyombo's agent, Igor Crespo, and Bobcats general manager Rich Cho didn't immediately return messages Tuesday morning seeking comment. Cho said after the draft last week he expected the issue to be resolved before next season. "He's got a dispute with his Spanish team," Cho said. "It's something we're going to have to address. It's a little bit complicated." ESPN.com

Charlotte Bobcats draft pick Bismack Biyombo and his Spanish club have scheduled a mediation session Friday in hopes of settling a dispute over the contract buyout required before he'd be allowed to play in the NBA. Jorge Sanz, spokesman for the Madrid-based team Fuenlabrada, said Biyombo has two seasons left on his deal and his buyout clause is more than $1.4 million. NBA rules say the Bobcats can't pay more than $500,000 toward a buyout. USA Today

April 2, 2011 Updates

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.