HoopsHype Jason Smith rumors

December 15, 2012 Updates

New Orleans Hornets forward Jason Smith suffered structural damage in his right shoulder when he blocked an attempted slam dunk by Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant with 10:01 remaining in the fourth quarter of Wednesday night's 92-88 loss against the Thunder. The team said prior to Friday night's 113-102 defeat to the Minnesota Timberwolves that Smith would be out at least two weeks. New Orleans Times-Picayune

December 2, 2012 Updates
October 29, 2012 Updates
October 24, 2012 Updates
October 16, 2012 Updates
September 29, 2012 Updates

Those long-term plans involve rebuilding around Davis and Rivers. Only 19, Davis is the youngest basketball gold medalist in U.S. Olympic history. Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics Coach Doc Rivers, was one of the top available players in the draft and likely will start this season at point guard. "There are so many possibilities with this team,’’ veteran forward Jason Smith said. "I think we have had a good momentum swing.’’ To build chemistry, a majority of the team participated in offseason workouts that began in early August and also included a trip to San Antonio to take part in volunteer pickup games against some of the Spurs players when the Alario Center was unavailable because it was used to help with Hurricane Isaac recovery efforts. "I can’t wait to get started," Rivers said. "This is what I’ve been waiting for almost my entire life. We’re really good but we are going have to go through things, learn and get better because we're young.'' New Orleans Times-Picayune

July 6, 2012 Updates

Gordon said he was surprised the Hornets drafted shooting guard Austin Rivers with the 10th overall selection, citing gaps throughout the Hornets roster, especially in the post. "I was a little surprised; we have no center and no bigs," Gordon said. "You look at our roster right now, what do we have, one big? Jason Smith? Before Anthony Davis, we had no bigs. "My thing is, if you're trying to be a good team, and you've got a young team, you've got to fill in spaces. I am the shooting guard. We've got plenty of point guards on our team right now." New Orleans Times-Picayune

May 31, 2012 Updates

New Orleans Hornets power forward Jason Smith discussed the significance of receiving the number 1 pick in the draft and the Hornets' ability to draft Kentucky star Anthony Davis. Smith added that he believes the Hornets will have a great season next year with the addition of key components to the team due to the team's picks in the draft. New Orleans Times-Picayune

April 14, 2012 Updates

With the ownership now stable, the Hornets may draw more interest from free agents. “I’m excited we have a new owner,’’ Hornets forward Jason Smith said. “I’m not sure what kind of effect it will have on us as players or coaches, but it’s exciting to have the new ownership and have us stay here in New Orleans — a good city, great crowd. “It’s a great feeling to know that we’re going to be in this city, and it’s great to know that we have somebody that wants to keep us here.’’ New Orleans Times-Picayune

Jason Smith on whether they've spoken since then ... "No, we haven't, but I just want to go out there and play hard. My whole responsibility is to play hard and give the team a chance to win. [Coach] Monty [Williams] does not condone that by any means. He wants me to play hard, play smart. [After the play] he said, 'You made a mistake. You're human. Everybody's allowed to have a mistake now and then. Obviously you don't want something like that to happen, but you did it, you move on from it, and you learn from it.' "[That apology] was more of an agreement between both of us, because I didn't want to come out and be thought of as this monster person. I wanted to really let people know that, 'Hey, that's not me. That's not Jason Smith. That's not the type of reputation that I want.' " SI.com

March 24, 2012 Updates

Saying he agreed with the punishment and reiterating his apology for the incident, New Orleans Hornets forward/center Jason Smith said Saturday he accepts the punishment handed out by the NBA on Friday, suspending him for the team's next two games tonight against the San Antonio Spurs and Monday night against the Los Angeles Clippers. Smith was disciplined for taking out Clippers forward Blake Griffin with a hard, body-check foul in the fourth quarter of Thursday night's win over Los Angeles. At the time, Smith was assessed a flagrant 2 foul, which called for an automatic ejection. New Orleans Times-Picayune

"It's something I never want to do again," Smith said. "I think I got caught up in the heat of the moment. It was an emotional game, a very physical game, There's still no excuse for what I did. I want to make it blatant that I apologized to Blake. He's an admirable player . . . . a well-liked player. "I didn't want to give up on the game. When you see a person in transition like that, it's hard to defend a person like that. I thought it was a good suspension. There's no way to determine how many games you get suspended for certain actions. I thought it was fair. You've got to take what you get and definitely have to own up to it and just learn from it." New Orleans Times-Picayune

Yet one source close to the talks insists that the Hornets, Lakers and Rockets were still searching for a consensus on the last piece of the trade framework needed to satisfy league salary-cap regulations when news of the trade began to spread And sources say that's partly because Smith didn't accept the sign-and-trade terms that were presented when he was asked to be part of the swap. The principal pieces of the original three-team deal were indeed all agreed to: Paul would be going to the Lakers; Pau Gasol was bound for Houston; and New Orleans would be receiving Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic, along with a 2012 first-round draft pick from the Rockets that had been previously acquired from the New York Knicks. But based on that trade construction, sources say the Lakers would have been forced to absorb another $3 million more in salary to make the cap math work. ESPN.com

March 23, 2012 Updates

New Orleans Hornets forward Jason Smith was suspended by the NBA for two games without pay for his Flagrant Foul Two against Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin in Thursday night's game at the New Orleans Arena, the league announced Friday. New Orleans Times-Picayune

March 3, 2012 Updates

It has been just short of a month since Hornets power forward Jason Smith absorbed two blows to the head at Detroit that left him with a concussion, one that has proven serious enough to keep him off the floor since, with an uncertain timetable to return. Smith spoke with reporters for the first time Friday since the Feb. 4 loss to the Pistons when he was was injured, on a hard foul by Detroit’s Greg Monroe, who later got Smith in the head again. New Orleans Times-Picayune

Smith said he has been assured by physicians that, despite the lengthy recovery period, no two concussions, or patients, are alike. “Some people just take a little bit longer,” Smith said. “I was a little concerned when I asked him the same question. But he said ‘Don’t be worried about it. Sometimes it takes a little while to get your head back.’ And I’m definitely learning that. “It has crossed my mind (if he could not come back), and it does concern me. As you go on, you think you’re OK, but then when you get those symptoms, it’s definitely a scary point. You never want to go back and have headaches and be light-headed. It’s very scary for me because this is my livelihood. This is what I love to do. When you have that taken away from you, it’s very scary.” New Orleans Times-Picayune

February 12, 2012 Updates

Marcus Camby on Saturday night suffered a right ankle injury midway through the second quarter of the Blazers’ game at the Dallas Mavericks and is questionable to return. Camby stepped in front of Lamar Odom as Odom drove for a layup, taking a defensive charge with 5:43 left in the first half. As Odom fell to the court, he landed directly on top of Camby’s right ankle and the Blazers’ center immediately cringed and grabbed at his foot. Camby left the game with help of teammates and headed directly to the locker room. X-rays were negative and the injury is listed as a right ankle bruise. Oregonian

February 9, 2012 Updates

Nearly one week after sustaining a concussion from a pair of blows to the head in a loss to the Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets starting power forward Jason Smith is scheduled to be re-examined on Friday as part of the NBA's new concussion policy. Smith has been away from the team all week, protocol mandated by the newly implemented concussion program. "I'd much rather have him here because his spirit and who he is, he's been our natural leader this year," Coach Monty Williams said Thursday following practice at the Alario Center. "I miss having him around. "I talked to him for a long time (on Tuesday) and he was worried about me. That's who he is. It was 'Coach, how are you doing?' " New Orleans Times-Picayune

February 3, 2012 Updates

The league-owned Hornets deactivated Kaman last week and told the former All-Star on Friday that he could wait at home while team officials tried to find a new trade home for him. But after discussions with numerous teams, sources said, New Orleans has decided to end those talks and recall Kaman, although it wasn't immediately clear what sort of role he'll have after Hornets coach Monty Williams announced last week that getting minutes for young players such as Jason Smith, Al-Farouq Aminu and Gustavo Ayon was the staff's priority. ESPN.com

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.