HoopsHype Jason Smith rumors

March 24, 2012 Updates

Yet one source close to the talks insists that the Hornets, Lakers and Rockets were still searching for a consensus on the last piece of the trade framework needed to satisfy league salary-cap regulations when news of the trade began to spread And sources say that's partly because Smith didn't accept the sign-and-trade terms that were presented when he was asked to be part of the swap. The principal pieces of the original three-team deal were indeed all agreed to: Paul would be going to the Lakers; Pau Gasol was bound for Houston; and New Orleans would be receiving Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic, along with a 2012 first-round draft pick from the Rockets that had been previously acquired from the New York Knicks. But based on that trade construction, sources say the Lakers would have been forced to absorb another $3 million more in salary to make the cap math work. ESPN.com

March 23, 2012 Updates

New Orleans Hornets forward Jason Smith was suspended by the NBA for two games without pay for his Flagrant Foul Two against Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin in Thursday night's game at the New Orleans Arena, the league announced Friday. New Orleans Times-Picayune

March 3, 2012 Updates

It has been just short of a month since Hornets power forward Jason Smith absorbed two blows to the head at Detroit that left him with a concussion, one that has proven serious enough to keep him off the floor since, with an uncertain timetable to return. Smith spoke with reporters for the first time Friday since the Feb. 4 loss to the Pistons when he was was injured, on a hard foul by Detroit’s Greg Monroe, who later got Smith in the head again. New Orleans Times-Picayune

Smith said he has been assured by physicians that, despite the lengthy recovery period, no two concussions, or patients, are alike. “Some people just take a little bit longer,” Smith said. “I was a little concerned when I asked him the same question. But he said ‘Don’t be worried about it. Sometimes it takes a little while to get your head back.’ And I’m definitely learning that. “It has crossed my mind (if he could not come back), and it does concern me. As you go on, you think you’re OK, but then when you get those symptoms, it’s definitely a scary point. You never want to go back and have headaches and be light-headed. It’s very scary for me because this is my livelihood. This is what I love to do. When you have that taken away from you, it’s very scary.” New Orleans Times-Picayune

February 12, 2012 Updates

Marcus Camby on Saturday night suffered a right ankle injury midway through the second quarter of the Blazers’ game at the Dallas Mavericks and is questionable to return. Camby stepped in front of Lamar Odom as Odom drove for a layup, taking a defensive charge with 5:43 left in the first half. As Odom fell to the court, he landed directly on top of Camby’s right ankle and the Blazers’ center immediately cringed and grabbed at his foot. Camby left the game with help of teammates and headed directly to the locker room. X-rays were negative and the injury is listed as a right ankle bruise. Oregonian

February 9, 2012 Updates

Nearly one week after sustaining a concussion from a pair of blows to the head in a loss to the Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets starting power forward Jason Smith is scheduled to be re-examined on Friday as part of the NBA's new concussion policy. Smith has been away from the team all week, protocol mandated by the newly implemented concussion program. "I'd much rather have him here because his spirit and who he is, he's been our natural leader this year," Coach Monty Williams said Thursday following practice at the Alario Center. "I miss having him around. "I talked to him for a long time (on Tuesday) and he was worried about me. That's who he is. It was 'Coach, how are you doing?' " New Orleans Times-Picayune

February 3, 2012 Updates

The league-owned Hornets deactivated Kaman last week and told the former All-Star on Friday that he could wait at home while team officials tried to find a new trade home for him. But after discussions with numerous teams, sources said, New Orleans has decided to end those talks and recall Kaman, although it wasn't immediately clear what sort of role he'll have after Hornets coach Monty Williams announced last week that getting minutes for young players such as Jason Smith, Al-Farouq Aminu and Gustavo Ayon was the staff's priority. ESPN.com

December 17, 2011 Updates

The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have re-signed center-forward Jason Smith. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released. “We are excited to have Jason back on our team this season,” Hornets General Manager Dell Demps said. “He provided us with solid play last season both off the bench and when he was called upon to start. He gives us depth in the frontcourt with his ability to play the center and power forward positions.” NBA.com

December 16, 2011 Updates

Ken Berger: I see @Adrian Wojnarowski beat me to it, but yes, Jason Smith stays with New Orleans for three years, $7.5M, says league source. Twitter

Bartelstein also represents free-agent forward/center Jason Smith, who is mulling a contract offer to return to the Hornets. “I’m still kind of waiting to see what happens,” Smith said Thursday. “I haven’t really set up a deadline. I’m going to go ahead and advise with Mark, and we’ll make a decision coming up soon. We’ll just have to wait and see.” New Orleans Times-Picayune

December 15, 2011 Updates

Free agent forwards Carl Landry and Jason Smith are both currently mulling offers to re-sign with the New Orleans Hornets, their agent Mark Bartelstein said Wednesday night, and likely will decide whether to accept the deals sometime Thursday now that the Chris Paul trade to the Clippers has been consummated. The Hornets' contract offers aren't the only ones that Landry and Smith have received. New Orleans Times-Picayune

December 10, 2011 Updates
December 4, 2011 Updates

With only five players currently under contract and a free-agency signing period beginning on Friday, the agents for former New Orleans Hornets' power forwards David West, Carl Landry and Jason Smith both said Sunday that the team wants all three to return this season. However, Lance Young, who represents West, and Mark Bartelstein, the agent for Landry and Smith, said that their clients were in high demand throughout the league. New Orleans Times-Picayune

August 5, 2011 Updates

The driver who died in a two-car collision Wednesday has been identified as the father of former Weld County high school basketball star and NBA player Jason Smith. Colorado State Patrol trooper Heather Cobler said Jack Smith, 67, of Greeley, was driving his minivan north on Weld County Road 31 around 6 p.m. when he failed to stop at the stop sign at Colo. 14, about two miles west of Ault. He was broadsided by a vehicle driven by Roberto Mendoza-Armenta, 47, of Eaton. Jack Smith died at the scene. Mendoza- Armenta was taken to North Colorado Medical Center with moderate injuries. Greeley Tribune

June 30, 2011 Updates

Although Smith can now solicit offers on the open market, if and when there’s a new collective bargaining agreement in place, the Hornets said they’d be open to re-signing him when they’re aware of what kind of salary structure will be implemented in the new labor agreement. New Orleans General Manager Dell Demps indicated to Smith and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, that uncertain economics caused the Hornets to not exercise the option for next season. “That’s what Dell had said, and that’s just how the business of basketball goes,” Smith said. “I like New Orleans. It’s a great team, a great organization, a great group of guys. It’s just one of those things with the lockout, you don’t know what the next collective bargaining agreement will be, so you just have to kind of plan and change your strategy to what’s coming in the future.” New Orleans Times-Picayune

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.