HoopsHype Law rumors

September 10, 2014 Updates

Detroit Pistons' forward Greg Monroe, who is facing a two-game suspension after NBA officials learned he pleaded guilty to impaired driving in April, "urinated on himself during the booking process," the Huntington Woods police report documenting his arrest says. Huntington Woods police released video footage of the Feb. 13 stop and arrest, which stemmed from a defective headlight, on Wednesday. "I'm just trying not to be in the newspaper," Monroe is heard saying to the officers during transport to the jail. "I play for the Pistons," Monroe said. Booth Newspapers

Monroe was pulled over driving a silver 2007 Pontiac G6 northbound on Woodward Avenue near Concord just before 2 a.m. and registered a blood-alcohol level of .09. The legal blood-alcohol limit in Michigan is .08. The Pistons hosted the Cleveland Cavaliers hours before the incident in the last game before the All-Star break. Detroit Free Press

September 1, 2014 Updates
August 27, 2014 Updates

Under California law, Sterling had 10 business days from Aug. 13 – the date an intermediate appellate court summarily rejected Sterling’s two petitions for the $2 billion sale of the Clippers be halted or reversed – to petition the California Supreme Court with the same request. It would have been a long shot request, to be sure, but Sterling was entitled to give it a try. By allowing the deadline to pass without a petition to the California Supreme Court, Sterling effectively acquiesces to Ballmer’s ownership of the team. Sports Illustrated

Prosecutors say former Chicago Bulls forward Ronnie Brewer has been sentenced to probation after pleading no contest to driving drunk in Beverly Hills. The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says the 29-year-old Brewer entered the plea to the misdemeanor charge through an attorney Tuesday. Prosecutors had alleged he was driving at about twice the legal blood-alcohol limit when he was pulled over near Rodeo Drive in February. USA Today Sports

August 24, 2014 Updates

Big Baby got inside ... but the line proved to be too much for McGee and he decided to leave. Might have been the best decision he made all night. Because 90 minutes later, gunshots rang out -- and as TMZ first reported, Suge Knight was shot multiple times. TMZ.com

August 21, 2014 Updates

Ten-time NBA All-Star Ray Allen and his wife are satisfied that charges have been brought against seven teens whom they allege trespassed in their Coral Gables, Fla., home last week, their attorney said Wednesday. "Ray and Shannon have been advised that the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office has filed trespass charges against the seven intruders to their home," attorney Gregory Victor said in a statement. "The determination as to what specific charges to file was entirely within the discretion of the State Attorney's Office and the Allens are satisfied with both the decision to prosecute and the charges being pursued. "The Allens are thankful that no one was hurt and they are appreciative for all the support they have received from their community." USA Today Sports

August 20, 2014 Updates

The 7 teens who entered Ray Allen's Florida home while his wife and children were asleep inside SHOULD HAVE been arrested ... so says the Coral Gables City Attorney who tells TMZ Sports he's gunning to change the laws so he can lock up trespassers in the future. The backstory is crazy ... the teens were partying at a nearby home last week when they decided to waltz into Allen's home because they thought he was in Cleveland with LeBron James. When they got inside ... after opening an unlocked door ... they were confronted by Allen's wife who screamed at the group to leave. So, they did. TMZ.com

The agent for free-agent NBA forward Dante Cunningham said his client plans to file a civil lawsuit against the woman who accused him of domestic assault. After a four-month investigation, authorities dismissed a charge of felony domestic assault against Cunningham on Monday, saying “there was no proof beyond a reasonable doubt for the charged offense.” “Dante Cunningham is innocent,” agent Joel Bell told the Associated Press on Tuesday. “He plans to bring civil charges against her not only to clear his name but to show people it’s wrong to abuse an already overworked legal system.” Minneapolis Star-Tribune

August 19, 2014 Updates

A woman agreed to drop three of her seven allegations against Los Angeles Laker guard Nick Young, who she claims had non-consensual sex with her after he bought her several drinks at a West Hollywood bar in 2011. The woman filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court in May 2013 against Young and the Crown Bar, but her lawyers filed an amended complaint a month later in which the bar was no longer a defendant. The woman, identified in her complaint as Jane Doe, accused Young in the revised lawsuit of battery, sexual battery, assault, sexual assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence. Daily Bulletin

August 18, 2014 Updates

Dante Cunningham has spent the last four months in limbo with a domestic assault charge hanging over his head, his home fans booing him when he took the court for the Minnesota Timberwolves and several teams in need of a power forward on the free-agent market staying away while the legal process played out. The news he was long expecting finally came down on Monday when Hennepin County authorities announced they were dropping the felony charge against him, enabling the free agent to start looking for a job next fall in earnest and start putting a difficult period behind him. "In the deepest part of my heart, I knew what happened. I knew the situation and I knew I was going to be cleared," Cunningham told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Monday evening. "I was hoping that all would've been done before the season ended. But God has a plan and here I am today and just ready to go forward." Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Cunningham said he had preliminary talks with a few teams once the market opened on July 1, but didn't get any firm interest while the charge was being investigated. "No team is going to invest in a player that is going to jail. I understood that," Cunningham said. "At that time, it was tough because a lot of teams had interest, but had to sit back. Now at this point, they know the truth." Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Ray Richardson: Dante Cunningham was "very grateful" on news felony charge dropped Monday, his attorney told @PioneerPress reporter @MarinoEccher. #Twolves Twitter @twolvesnow

Charges filed against NBA free agent and former Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham for choking his girlfriend during an argument have been dropped, a source tells KSTP Sports. A criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court said his girlfriend told police they got into an argument back in April at his suburban Minneapolis home. She told police he grabbed her around the neck and slammed her against the wall, choking for 15 to 20 seconds during which she could not breathe. The complaint says he dropped her, and she called 911. KSTP

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.