HoopsHype Mark Warkentien rumors

July 2, 2010 Updates

The Nuggets have a three-year, $65 million offer on the table to extend Anthony's contract through 2015. He's due to make about $17 million next season, after which he can opt out and become courted and coveted like this year's superstar class that includes LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. "We're doing everything we can to make 'Melo the basketball version of John Elway, who plays with one team his entire career and becomes The Guy," Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien told The Associated Press during a brief break from business calls. ESPN.com

If Melo turns the team down this summer, the last resort could be trading him, a source told The Denver Post's Mark Kiszla earlier this week. As for the Nuggets' hefty offer to Anthony, Warkentien said: "Nothing's new — (owner) Stan Kroenke's in it to win it. As far as the offer, did you expect anything less? In our business, (contract offers) always depend on the name, and Melo's the right name." Denver Post

June 28, 2010 Updates
June 25, 2010 Updates
June 23, 2010 Updates

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.