HoopsHype Renaldo Balkman rumors

October 25, 2014 Updates
October 13, 2014 Updates
August 10, 2014 Updates

Emiliano Carchia: Renaldo Balkman said that he wants one more opportunity to play in the NBA. The interview: soundcloud.com/tab-sports-201… (H/T to @tabpr) Twitter @sportando

October 10, 2013 Updates

Asked for his first thoughts on the dreadlocked, multi-tattooed former first-round draft pick of the New York Knicks, coach Rick Carlisle said: “My first thoughts? I like his hairdo. And I like his tattoos a lot. There’s a lot of storytelling going on there. “You know he’s got a high pain tolerance if he’s got tattoos on his eyelids. All that stuff impresses me before we even start talking about his game. That’s why I liked [DeShawn] Stevenson.” Dallas Morning News

“It was a long journey to now,” Balkman said. “It’s a blessing I’m here. That [the choking incident] is in the past. I’m looking forward. It’s a step for me to be here now. Whatever happened, happened. I’m moving on.” And moments like that can impact a player for a long time, Balkman knows. “It was an incident,” he said. “Everybody knew about it. But it didn’t stop me from what I knew what I was trying to do. I could have easily said it was going to hurt my whole career. But I turned a lot of things into positives. If I had to go to six or seven places to play basketball and show everybody I’m still in it, that’s what I would have done. “I went to three places to play as much basketball as I could.” Dallas Morning News

October 5, 2013 Updates

Balkman made headlines last season when he was playing in the Phillipines and lost his cool after getting a tough no-call from the referees on a play in the paint. He ended up choking a teammate who started out trying to restrain Balkman. The Youtube video is the first thing that pops up regarding Balkman. It wasn’t his finest moment. But he’s trying to resurrect his career and the Mavericks aren’t even his first stop in that process. He made stops in Venezuela and Puerto Rico after getting banned from the league in the Phillipines for his outburst. “It was a long journey to now,” Balkman said. “It’s a blessing I’m here. That (the choking incident) is in the past. I’m looking forward. It’s a step for me to be here now. Whatever happened, happened. I’m moving on.” Dallas Morning News

And moments like that can impact a player for a long time, Balkman knows. “It was an incident,” he said. “Everybody knew about it. But it didn’t stop me from what I knew what I was trying to do. I could have easily said it was going to hurt my whole career. But I turned a lot of things into positives. If I had to go to six or seven places to play basketball and show everybody I’m still in it, that’s what I would have done. “I went to three places to play as much basketball as I could.” Dallas Morning News

September 30, 2013 Updates

Well-traveled forward Renaldo Balkman, who played in multiple countries last year, signed a contract with the Dallas Mavericks. The team announced the deal Monday but did not reveal details of the agreement. The 29-year-old veteran began last season playing in the Philippines but was banned from the league due to an on-court outburst that began as a dispute with the refs but included Balkman pushing refs, coaches and teammates. Lindy's Sports

September 25, 2013 Updates

Former New York Knicks first-round pick Renaldo Balkman has reached an agreement on a nonguaranteed deal with the Dallas Mavericks, a source said. Balkman, 29, a defensive-minded 6-foot-8 small forward, has been out of the NBA since 2011-12. He has since played in the Philippines, Venezuela and Puerto Rico. ESPN.com

Former New York Knicks draftee Renaldo Balkman is considering joining the Mavericks as the final member of their training camp roster. The Mavericks were hoping to bring in active defensive-minded bodies to fill out their camp roster and Balkman would fit that need. Dallas Morning News

August 31, 2013 Updates

Puerto Rico drew Brazil for their first game of the tournament, making it a matchup of the top two teams in the tournament and a likely preview of the eventual championship game. The game lived up to its billing, too, considering the score was 62-61 with 2:28 left in the game before Renaldo Balkman rattled off five straight points to help his country score an eventual 72-65 victory. Balkman, the Knicks’ first-round pick in 2006, scored 24 points, grabbed eight rebounds and blocked four shots while playing 37 of the game’s 40 minutes — and he didn’t even choke a teammate in the process. Former Boston University standout John Holland added 15 points and nine rebounds while Minnesota Timberwolves dynamo J.J. Barea struggled to 12 points on 11 shot attempts, committing four turnovers in the process. Other notables on the Puerto Rican squad include Carlos Arroyo (7 points, 2-of-9 shooting), Ricky Sanchez (four points, four rebounds and four fouls) and former USC star — and current 36-year-old chucker — Larry Ayuso (two points, four fouls, five shots). The only NBA player on the Brazil roster is Utah Jazz draft pick Raul Neto because Nene, Tiago Splitter, Leandro Barbosa and Anderson Varejao all decided to sit this tournament out. NBCSports.com

March 12, 2013 Updates
March 11, 2013 Updates

Such was the stiff penalty "for initiating threatening physical contact with a referee followed by a prolonged, offensive, belligerent if not aberrant on-court decorum directed towards game officials and his Petron team mates and superiors, including the head coach and assistant coaches, amounting to a blatant and utter disrespect for the game, his own ball club, the Leauge, the fans and the host country," according to the league's official release. Salud added that he "took into consideration Balkman's track record as a player," citing a head-butting incident during a FIBA-Americas game between Puerto Rico, the country plays for, and Venezuela, as well as an altercation during a preseason tournament in Cebu, also against the same Alaska Aces team his side faced off against, which led to Friday's incident. GMANetwork.com

The commissioner also added, "I do encourage passion for the game, but I also want to firmly instill a culture of accountability among our players. "If one does something that violates the rules and the norms of sportsmanship and decent behavior, he will be made accountable." GMANetwork.com

March 10, 2013 Updates

Renaldo apologized on Twitter, but the fact is, this will stay with him forever. The whole Balkman saga is a shame. He made a name for himself in college with his hustle and intangibles, and then, once he got paid in the NBA, he lost his focus, didn't learn the plays and basically just got in the way. It's a shame, because players such as Balkman — at his best — have a place in this league. One wonders if he will ever be back. Denver Post

March 8, 2013 Updates

Renaldo Balkman went wild near the end of a 73-83 loss to Alaska on Friday night, confronting referees, defying coaches, and choking teammate Arwind Santos in a chaotic ending that put serious questions on the former NBA player's stint in the PBA. The game was all but over in the dying seconds when a frustrated Balkman lost the plot after a non-call on an offensive play late in the match at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, confronting the referees and later shoving away Petron coaches and players who tried to pacify him. Sports Interactive Network Philippines

Already, Balkman's continued stint with the Boosters is in question. Commissioner Chito Salud announced immediately after the game that Balkman has been summoned to appear before him on Monday. Sports Interactive Network Philippines

"I, Renaldo Balkman, would like to apologize to my teammates, the fans, the entire Philippines Basketball association, and the entire Perton Blaze Boosters organization. I would especially like to apologize to Arwind Santos and his family. I would never intentionally inflict harm on another human being, especially a teammate who I respect deeply. My behaviors, during a very intense moment of a heated game, game as a surprise even to me. It is not in my character to react physically in any situation and this is the first time I have ever behaved in such a manor. My actions were out of line and I am ready to fully accept any consequences for my actions. I hope that the Petron Blaze Boosters management will recognize this unfortunate situation as a slip up that will never happen again." ph.sports.yahoo.com

Balkman apologized to Santos and their teammates after the altercation. Santos, who was not injured, said he accepted their import's apology. ABS-CBN News

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.