Mark Tatum Rumors
The NBA launched NBA China 10 years ago, and it is currently worth more than $4 billion, according to Mark Tatum, NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer. “We’re seeing growth in all lines of business whether it’s content distribution, sponsorships or merchandise,” says Tatum. “The NBA and the consumption of our product continues to grow, which is really driving the valuation of NBA China.”
NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum sent a memo to all 30 teams on Friday reminding them of the guidelines that require each player, coach and training staff member to stand for the anthem — and if they do not, a form of discipline would be in order. Many wondered how the players, especially the outspoken Warriors, would react to this sudden reminder. “That rule has been in there for some time, so it wasn’t meant to prevent anything,” Iguodala said to ESPN. “So when you look at it from that standpoint, you understand that’s just the rule. It’s like having a drug test. You just have to comply with it.”
The NBA league office late Friday sent a memo to teams reinforcing the rule that players and coaches must stand for the national anthem, and suggesting other ways in which teams might address the recent protest movement sweeping across the NFL and other sports, according to a copy of the memo obtained by ESPN.
The memo, distributed by deputy commissioner Mark Tatum, instructs teams that “the league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach, or trainer does not stand for the anthem.” The memo states that individual teams “do not have the discretion to waive” the rule that players, coaches, and staff must stand for the anthem. The league has the discretion to discipline players who violate the rule.
In the memo, Tatum suggests teams might address the current political climate by having players and coaches give a joint pregame address. “This could include a message of unity and how the team is committed to bringing the community together this season,” the memo states
NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum made it pretty clear in a letter to sports commission president and CEO David Gilbert on July 19: If construction on the proposed Quicken Loans Arena transformation project doesn’t begin by Sept. 15, Cleveland won’t be considered to host the 2020 or ’21 NBA All-Star Game. Last week, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that Cleveland City Council Clerk Pat Britt must accept the petitions submitted by a coalition that opposes tax dollars being used to fund half of the cost of the proposed $140 million upgrade. The next step is determining whether the referendum will be placed on the November ballot, or if it will be part of a special election early in 2018, which would cost Cleveland taxpayers another $763,600.
A Cavs source told Crain’s that the organization hasn’t heard anything official from the league, but the source wasn’t certain that they would, since Tatum’s letter was “very clear.” The sports commission’s Mulhall told us the same. “As you saw, the letter was pretty direct,” he said.