Eleven National Federations are participating in a workshop on the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 and its bidding process. The national basketball governing bodies of Argentina, Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Serbia and Turkey are attending an informative workshop at the House of Basketball. Over the course of two days (Tuesday-Wednesday 1-2 November), FIBA is presenting the rights and requirements tied into bidding – and eventually hosting – the competition.
From what we can tell, the giraffe is not actually his, it’s the giraffe at the Warsaw Zoo that’s named after him. But the horses do appear to be his, and he’s set up an Instagram page for his stable.
“He’s much more known than I am,” the ambassador of Poland said Saturday, while watching Wizards center Marcin Gortat. “I used to call him another ambassador for Poland here in the United States.” I was talking to the actual Polish ambassador — that would be Ryszard Schnepf, for those not up on your current European ambassadors — because it was Polish Heritage Night at the Wizards game. This is nothing new, of course; Gortat has previously sponsored two other Polish Heritage Nights here in Washington, and even more back in Phoenix. He meets with Polish groups on the road, talks about Polish causes regularly, and uses his Twitter feed both to mock his haters and to tweet with Polish athletes and fans.
Gortat called it “a huge day for me, a very important day for me.” He shook dozens of hands, posed for photos, spoke at length with members of the Polish media, and addressed hundreds of Polish fans. Again, this is nothing new; “it’s not my first rodeo,” Gortat said, referencing his previous Polish nights. The Polish fans and friends of Gortat crowding around the center before and after the game were less restrained. “You can see that there are many people, they want to demonstrate their emotional link with Poland,” the ambassador said. “Millions of people in Poland are following his career here as a symbol of success.”
Marcin Gortat announced that he is leaving the Polish National Team. The Wizards big man has played his last game at Eurobasket 2015 in Lille. Gortat talked with “Przegląd Sportowy” and his interview was translated by Bartosz Bielecki for Truthaboutit.net. Per Truthaboutit.net, “There’s a 90 percent chance I won’t return to the national team,” he said. “I leave myself that 10 percent in case something unexpected happens, but I’ve already let the coach know that my last game was in France, at EuroBasket.”