Sydney Kings Rumors
Before Christmas, Childress was in great form and put himself in contention for the NBL’s most valuable player award. Childress has enjoyed his time in Sydney and is interested in helping the Kings improve next season. “We’re talking about it,” he confirmed yesterday. “The injury is unfortunate and fortunate. I have a lot more downtime now to go through a contract with the Kings and my agent and find out if we can reach an agreement that’s good for both sides.”
The National Basketball League charged Sydney Kings player Josh Childress over an alleged strike on Perth Wildcats player Jesse Wagstaff at the Perth Arena on Friday 24 October 2014. The charges levelled against Childress were heard by an independent tribunal this evening and Childress entered a plea of guilty for unduly rough play and bringing the game into disrepute which was accepted.
Free agent Sam Young has signed a contract with the Sydney Kings of the National Basketball League in a deal that contains an NBA escape clause, agent Joel Bell told RealGM. “Sam had other options, but this one made the most sense and will pay him as the highest player in the league,” Bell said.
Meanwhile, NBL team the Sydney Kings have revealed they binned an offer from Khloe’s husband to play for the team tonight. LA Lakers star forward Lamar Odom, sidelined by the NBA lockout and tagging along with his wife and sister-in-law, approached Kings club management about appearing on a one-off “import” basis – but was knocked back in favour of local players. “We thought the offer was more sideshow than substance,” Kings spokesman David Wolf said. “We invited him to the game and there’s always room in The Kingdome for the Kardashian entourage … but to sideline a local player wasn’t going to work.”
Former Sydney Kings owner and one-time basketball supremo Bob Turner who, until recently, had been working with an Australian promoter to bring James out to tour Australia said he’d heard about other “potential tours”. “I heard this latest one (rumour) this morning, so who knows?” said Turner. Turner said insuring marquee players like James and Bryant was “pricey” but could be done. “If you play in big enough venues and charge the right prices, you can make it work.”
Superstar centre Andrew Bogut says he will definitely look at playing in the NBL towards the end of his career, after attempts to suit up for the Sydney Kings were stymied by the failure to finalise an insurance policy. The Milwaukee Bucks star became available to play in the NBL because of the current NBA lockout, with players and club owners yet to reach agreement on a new collective bargaining deal.
Agent David Bauman said Thursday that a deal to put Bogut on the court with the Sydney Kings is “off” because insuring the nearly $40 million remaining on the 7- footer’s contract with the Milwaukee Bucks is not feasible. “He’s very disappointed because he was hoping to help the profile of the NBL and bring in new fans,” Bauman said after speaking to Bogut by phone. “But the risks for his outstanding money were too great.”
Bogut’s management company announced the decision to play with Sydney via Twitter this afternoon. “Update on (Andrew Bogut). He is committed to the (NBL). He would like to play for (the Sydney Kings). Insurance is still not finalised,” One Management Group posted. “As such he will not be playing tomorrow night against Melbourne. We will continue to try and resolve the insurance policy.
Andrew Bogut has committed to joining the Sydney Kings on the provision he is able to secure an insurance policy for his whopping $39 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks. Bogut had been linked to short-term deals with several NBL clubs while the NBA lockout over a pay dispute continues, but today the Australian Boomers star confirmed that Sydney was his club of choice.
Marc Stein: Andrew Bogut’s agent David Bauman tells ESPN.com that deal w/Sydney Kings is “off” because of insurance obstacles, not on hold. Link on way
The Kings were reluctant to give away too much about their contact with Bogut, but general manager David Wolf confirmed yesterday talks had taken place. ”There have been initial discussions,” Wolf said. ”Adelaide and Perth are talking it up. We don’t want to do that. But, are we in the mix to secure Andrew Bogut? Yes, we are. It’s not every day that the best Australian player in the NBA wants to play in Australia. And, if he wants to do that, we want him playing at the best club, which is the Kings. We’re keen to explore it. We are absolutely interested in seeing Andrew in a Kings singlet.”
Sydney Kings are chasing the signature of Australia’s best basketballer, Andrew Bogut, who is considering playing at home while the National Basketball Association collective bargaining agreement lockout continues. The Sun-Herald can reveal the Kings have held preliminary talks with the Bogut camp about the Milwaukee Bucks and Boomers superstar, in what would be an enormous coup for the rebuilding club. But signing Bogut is going to take plenty of work. A major concern – even if he played for no payment – is a possible $500,000 insurance bill for the 213-centimetre centre. And there is plenty of competition worldwide and domestically, where the Perth Wildcats and Adelaide 36ers are already known to be in the hunt.