HoopsHype Law rumors

August 21, 2014 Updates

Ten-time NBA All-Star Ray Allen and his wife are satisfied that charges have been brought against seven teens whom they allege trespassed in their Coral Gables, Fla., home last week, their attorney said Wednesday. "Ray and Shannon have been advised that the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office has filed trespass charges against the seven intruders to their home," attorney Gregory Victor said in a statement. "The determination as to what specific charges to file was entirely within the discretion of the State Attorney's Office and the Allens are satisfied with both the decision to prosecute and the charges being pursued. "The Allens are thankful that no one was hurt and they are appreciative for all the support they have received from their community." USA Today Sports

August 20, 2014 Updates

The 7 teens who entered Ray Allen's Florida home while his wife and children were asleep inside SHOULD HAVE been arrested ... so says the Coral Gables City Attorney who tells TMZ Sports he's gunning to change the laws so he can lock up trespassers in the future. The backstory is crazy ... the teens were partying at a nearby home last week when they decided to waltz into Allen's home because they thought he was in Cleveland with LeBron James. When they got inside ... after opening an unlocked door ... they were confronted by Allen's wife who screamed at the group to leave. So, they did. TMZ.com

The agent for free-agent NBA forward Dante Cunningham said his client plans to file a civil lawsuit against the woman who accused him of domestic assault. After a four-month investigation, authorities dismissed a charge of felony domestic assault against Cunningham on Monday, saying “there was no proof beyond a reasonable doubt for the charged offense.” “Dante Cunningham is innocent,” agent Joel Bell told the Associated Press on Tuesday. “He plans to bring civil charges against her not only to clear his name but to show people it’s wrong to abuse an already overworked legal system.” Minneapolis Star-Tribune

August 19, 2014 Updates

A woman agreed to drop three of her seven allegations against Los Angeles Laker guard Nick Young, who she claims had non-consensual sex with her after he bought her several drinks at a West Hollywood bar in 2011. The woman filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court in May 2013 against Young and the Crown Bar, but her lawyers filed an amended complaint a month later in which the bar was no longer a defendant. The woman, identified in her complaint as Jane Doe, accused Young in the revised lawsuit of battery, sexual battery, assault, sexual assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence. Daily Bulletin

August 18, 2014 Updates

Dante Cunningham has spent the last four months in limbo with a domestic assault charge hanging over his head, his home fans booing him when he took the court for the Minnesota Timberwolves and several teams in need of a power forward on the free-agent market staying away while the legal process played out. The news he was long expecting finally came down on Monday when Hennepin County authorities announced they were dropping the felony charge against him, enabling the free agent to start looking for a job next fall in earnest and start putting a difficult period behind him. "In the deepest part of my heart, I knew what happened. I knew the situation and I knew I was going to be cleared," Cunningham told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Monday evening. "I was hoping that all would've been done before the season ended. But God has a plan and here I am today and just ready to go forward." Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Cunningham said he had preliminary talks with a few teams once the market opened on July 1, but didn't get any firm interest while the charge was being investigated. "No team is going to invest in a player that is going to jail. I understood that," Cunningham said. "At that time, it was tough because a lot of teams had interest, but had to sit back. Now at this point, they know the truth." Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Ray Richardson: Dante Cunningham was "very grateful" on news felony charge dropped Monday, his attorney told @PioneerPress reporter @MarinoEccher. #Twolves Twitter @twolvesnow

Charges filed against NBA free agent and former Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham for choking his girlfriend during an argument have been dropped, a source tells KSTP Sports. A criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court said his girlfriend told police they got into an argument back in April at his suburban Minneapolis home. She told police he grabbed her around the neck and slammed her against the wall, choking for 15 to 20 seconds during which she could not breathe. The complaint says he dropped her, and she called 911. KSTP

Then came tragedy for Barnes and his family on July 8, when his aunt, 48-year-old Tanganyika Williams was found stabbed in the neck and laying on a south Sacramento street. She died at a local hospital later that day. Police named her husband, 51-year-old Michael Williams the primary suspect in the fatal stabbing. Barnes, who resides in Los Angeles went to his social media platforms via Twitter and Instagram posting two pictures of Williams and pleading for the public's help to assist police in locating him. "At the time, it was really my only outlet," he said. "Being in L.A. and my aunt being killed out here, I couldn't get up here at the time. Social media has been good and bad for me. I just tried it, I threw the guy's mugshot up there and told the story." news10.net

Barnes felt the awareness that stemmed from his social media experiment, along with the national media attention he received helped bring Williams to justice. "Through all of that, someone called in with a tip and we got him arrested," he said. "It was kind of a shot in the dark. It worked and I thank everyone out there who supported and helped that out. Him (being) caught (and) him going to prison for the rest of his life doesn't bring my aunt back, but it let's our family rest at peace a little more and know that he's going to have to do time for the crime." news10.net

August 16, 2014 Updates
August 14, 2014 Updates

Former NBA No. 1 draft pick Greg Oden is free to leave Indiana while he awaits trial on charges he punched his ex-girlfriend in the face as long as he remains on GPS monitoring, a judge ruled Wednesday. Marion County Superior Court Judge Steven Rubick entered a routine not guilty plea on behalf of Oden and scheduled the free agent center's trial for Oct. 22. Oden is charged with battery resulting in serious bodily injury and two misdemeanor battery counts. NBA.com

August 13, 2014 Updates

The NBA schedule typically produces some oddities, and the 2014-15 gives us this: Raymond Felton, newly acquired by the Dallas Mavericks, will make his season debut in Portland. Felton joined Dallas as part of the trade that took center Tyson Chandler back to Dallas from New York. Last week, Felton was suspended for the first four games of the NBA season after he pleaded guilty to a firearms charge. When the 2014-15 schedule came out Wednesday, whaddaya know, the fifth game of the Mavericks' season -- the first Felton will be eligible to play as a Dallas player -- will be against the Blazers at the Moda Center on Thursday, Nov. 6. The game will be broadcast by TNT. Oregonian

Any rumor missing? E-mail us at   hoopshype@hoopshype.com.