LeBron James is even more dominant among NBA players in the social media arena than he is on the basketball court. King James combines for more than 63 million followers in the many social media platforms where he has an official profile. That’s 26 million more than the next NBA player, Kobe Bryant, who does fantastic on Facebook but lags way behind James on Twitter and Instagram.
These are the Top 20 NBA players in social media following right now:
Some takeaways from our research:
– LeBron leads all players on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram followers. He has almost three times as many followers on Instagram as the the next player (Kevin Durant).
– There’s only two international players in the Top 20: Spurs’ Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.
– Most represented teams in the Top 20 are Cleveland and the Los Angeles Clippers with three players each.
– All the players in the Top 20 are All-Stars except for Jeremy Lin, who has half his social media followers on Chinese microblogging site Weibo. He’s the No. 1 NBA player there.
– Aside from Weibo, Lin does very well on Youtube. His channel has more than half a million subscribers. No other player has a Youtube channel with a number of suscribers in six figures.
– Many NBA stars have a Google+ profile, but for the most part stopped updating it a long time ago, which we can totally relate to.