1. He used to have a crush on Rihanna.
2. His father was a bus driver in Latvia.
3. His brother Janis played basketball professionally. For 16 different clubs
4. He doesn’t like the ‘Zinger’ nickname.
5. Two years ago, Latvian National Team head coach Ainars Bagatskis said he was not ready for the NBA. His words: “He has to keep playing in Europe. Right now he would only wave towels there”.
6. As a kid, he rocked cornrows.
7. One of the NBA things he was most excited about? Access to the gym whenever he wanted.
8. His wingspan measured at 7-foot-6 at the 2015 draft combine.
9. He called the Knicks the best organization in the NBA. Before they selected him in the draft.
10. He was a big fan of the website WorldStarHipHop.
11. There’s a short film and a rap song named after him.
12. He’s pretty good with impersonations. And can imitate different Spanish accents. Which is nice considering it’s not his first language.
13. Last October, he signed a shoe deal with adidas. It’s reportedly the most lucrative ever for a European player.