Marc J. Spears: Ex-NBA guard Baron Davis’ agent Todd Ramasar tells Yahoo that his client plans on making his D-League debut after 1/20.
Chris Reichert: Baron Davis has signed with the NBA D-League, per a league source #NBADL
Baron Davis: I'm focused. My conditioning is getting better and I am getting stronger. Hey, I'm starting to look like them and walk and talk like them again. Hell, these dudes are getting up to play against me again. Challenging me. Pushing me. Talking trash. I kinda like this. Wait until I get to where I know I can get to the level I need; wait until I am around a team and can really lock in on tools and start to sharpen them with some structure around. This is a good feeling. I'm feeling good about this. I need to embrace this feeling and be more like these guys. I like this new generation. I want to be a part of it. I have something to offer, something valuable. I still got it, so they say. But it's a long journey and now I'm fully committed to the journey, the climb, the hurt, the commitment, the unity and the brotherhood.
Baron Davis: And it's fun, because it the hardest thing I have done this far and the war with myself is over. The battle with the demon of doubt is over. I'm focused and I'm going for it. Wherever this game leads me, I know it won't be disappointing because I'm appreciative of the journey and the opportunity. It was almost lost, gone and killed off.
"This is the first time I'm going to put myself out there, I'm going to try out for some teams." @Baron_Davis on looking to get back to @NBA
How are you feeling health-wise? Baron Davis: "I'm feeling good, man. I'm working out a lot, getting back in basketball shape. At some point, I'm going to get a call and a workout, and I'll show them what I can do. But it feels good to just be able to play again and be back on the court, and now it's just a matter of climbing back up that mountain and proving to people that I can still do it."
Our sources say Davis -- the #3 overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft -- has been speaking with several squads who feel he could be a good backup for a young point guard. We're told the Clippers and the Cavs are among the playoff contenders interested in Davis ... with the Lakers also in the conversation. We're told so far ... there is NOT a deal in place, but that could change very soon.
Baron Davis is in talks to return to the NBA ... TMZ Sports has learned ... with sources telling us the 35-year-old has been in communication with multiple "playoff contenders." Davis -- a 2-time NBA All-Star -- hasn't played in the league since 2012 ... but we're told he's been keeping himself in shape and is serious about a return to the pros.
He is 35 now and hasn’t played in a game in more than two years, but Baron Davis insists he’s serious about a comeback in the NBA. Davis is in Las Vegas for summer league, just as he is every year. Only now, the former Cavs guard is looking for a job. Davis tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee during the New York Knicks’ playoff series against the Miami Heat two years ago. He’s still not 100 percent, labeling his health “somewhere in the 80s,” but believes he can contribute to a team and said he’d love to return to Cleveland. “Cleveland always has a special place in my heart because when I got traded there, people doubted whether I’d ever play and those fans embraced me and the organization embraced me,” Davis said. “At that time, I needed Cleveland more than Cleveland needed me.”
Jared Zwerling: When asked what offensive system he likes, Baron Davis said the Clippers & Warriors. Feels like he can play 15-20 minutes a game next year.
October 6, 2022 | 10:04 am EDT Update
Michael Scotto: I spoke with four NBA executives this week about the Ime Udoka situation in Boston. Each of those four executives told HoopsHype they don’t think Udoka will return as coach of the Boston Celtics after his yearlong suspension is done. Jared Weiss: That’s the consensus. I haven’t had anyone in the organization tell me they don’t think he’s coming back. I feel like they’re moving on with that expectation and that the reason for a suspension is more about whatever legal processes are happening right now rather than they genuinely want to reassess it in the future. I’m sure there is some degree of uncertainty about whether or not they would bring him back. I don’t think it’s like he’s fired, and it’s set in stone, and that’s it. I’m sure there’s some evaluation that has to be done at some point, but it seems so unlikely that he would come back.
Jared Weiss: I haven’t heard anything indicating there would be an earlier time frame than the 2-3 months. I just saw him walking around the other day. He’s got a single crutch on the side where the knee (surgery) is. He’s basically using it as a big cane essentially to support his walking. He’s walking pretty gingerly. It’s not like he’s full on limping, but he doesn’t look like he’s putting all of his weight on his knee the way he normally would, and he’s not doing full strides like he normally would. I think he’s definitely got a ways to go before getting back out there, and I’d presume they’re going to go on the more conservative time of this time frame because he’s already come back a few different times in his career, and the results haven’t been good. They’ve got to take as much time as they can because if he goes down again for this injury, you’ve got to worry about his career at that point.
Michael Scotto: I think the absence of Robert Williams affected the way they went about filling Danilo Gallinari’s roster spot. There were some rumblings out there about Carmelo Anthony before Blake Griffin. One of the reasons the Boston Celtics targeted Griffin was the team prioritized defense. Griffin was one of the league leaders at drawing charges. With Williams being out to start the season, Griffin can play the five. Offensively, Griffin can help with DHOs (dribble handoffs). Melo would’ve been a fine stretch four and could’ve replaced that role similar to Gallinari, but that wasn’t the focus after the surgery for Williams, I’m told.
Michael Scotto: Following the recent extension for Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr, I spoke with four NBA executives, and they told HoopsHype they projected Grant Williams to be worth between $12-13 million annually in any extension talks. One executive told me, “For an extension now, he’s probably in the $12-14 million territory. I think $15 million is not out of the question, but definitely on the high end, and it means they’d think he’s going to be a starter.”
The intel that we got from multiple people within the (Lakers) organization was that as of now it’s not like they’re saving their cap space for Kyrie Irving or that you know, there’s this grand plan to land Kyrie.
Is there one guy that from your understanding is higher on (the Lakers’) wish list? From my understanding, it is Myles Turner and I think there definitely are reservations from their side on both guys (Turner and Buddy Hield).