Davis has been working out daily with former NBA assistant and player development coach Rico Hines, his former UCLA teammate, in Los Angeles. The 6-foot-3 combo guard last played competitively in the Drew League Pro-Am in Los Angeles last summer. “Every pro athlete wants to retire on his terms,” said Ramasar, who also played with Davis at UCLA. “His current last game wasn’t the way he wanted to go out. He is very excited about the D-League.”
Two-time NBA All-Star guard Baron Davis is expected to sign a contract with the NBA's Development League by Wednesday, his agent Todd Ramasar told Yahoo Sports.
Davis, 36, decided over the weekend that he would sign a contract to join the D-League after contemplating the move for two years. Ramasar said that Davis' wife recently gave birth to their second child, which pushed his hopes of joining the D-League until after Jan. 20.
The Dallas Mavericks, who have been known to add NBA veterans to the roster of their D-League affiliate, the Texas Legends, worked out Davis in Los Angeles last Sunday, Ramasar said. "He is looking forward to playing in the D-League and showing teams what he is capable of," Ramasar told Yahoo Sports. "He feels that the timing is right. More than anything Baron has put in the training and is confident in his body. He feels he is ready to return to the NBA."
Marc J. Spears: Ex-NBA guard Baron Davis’ agent Todd Ramasar tells Yahoo that his client plans on making his D-League debut after 1/20.
Chris Reichert: Baron Davis has signed with the NBA D-League, per a league source #NBADL
Baron Davis: I'm focused. My conditioning is getting better and I am getting stronger. Hey, I'm starting to look like them and walk and talk like them again. Hell, these dudes are getting up to play against me again. Challenging me. Pushing me. Talking trash. I kinda like this. Wait until I get to where I know I can get to the level I need; wait until I am around a team and can really lock in on tools and start to sharpen them with some structure around. This is a good feeling. I'm feeling good about this. I need to embrace this feeling and be more like these guys. I like this new generation. I want to be a part of it. I have something to offer, something valuable. I still got it, so they say. But it's a long journey and now I'm fully committed to the journey, the climb, the hurt, the commitment, the unity and the brotherhood.
Baron Davis: And it's fun, because it the hardest thing I have done this far and the war with myself is over. The battle with the demon of doubt is over. I'm focused and I'm going for it. Wherever this game leads me, I know it won't be disappointing because I'm appreciative of the journey and the opportunity. It was almost lost, gone and killed off.
"This is the first time I'm going to put myself out there, I'm going to try out for some teams." @Baron_Davis on looking to get back to @NBA
How are you feeling health-wise? Baron Davis: "I'm feeling good, man. I'm working out a lot, getting back in basketball shape. At some point, I'm going to get a call and a workout, and I'll show them what I can do. But it feels good to just be able to play again and be back on the court, and now it's just a matter of climbing back up that mountain and proving to people that I can still do it."
Our sources say Davis -- the #3 overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft -- has been speaking with several squads who feel he could be a good backup for a young point guard. We're told the Clippers and the Cavs are among the playoff contenders interested in Davis ... with the Lakers also in the conversation. We're told so far ... there is NOT a deal in place, but that could change very soon.
Baron Davis is in talks to return to the NBA ... TMZ Sports has learned ... with sources telling us the 35-year-old has been in communication with multiple "playoff contenders." Davis -- a 2-time NBA All-Star -- hasn't played in the league since 2012 ... but we're told he's been keeping himself in shape and is serious about a return to the pros.
He is 35 now and hasn’t played in a game in more than two years, but Baron Davis insists he’s serious about a comeback in the NBA. Davis is in Las Vegas for summer league, just as he is every year. Only now, the former Cavs guard is looking for a job. Davis tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee during the New York Knicks’ playoff series against the Miami Heat two years ago. He’s still not 100 percent, labeling his health “somewhere in the 80s,” but believes he can contribute to a team and said he’d love to return to Cleveland. “Cleveland always has a special place in my heart because when I got traded there, people doubted whether I’d ever play and those fans embraced me and the organization embraced me,” Davis said. “At that time, I needed Cleveland more than Cleveland needed me.”
Jared Zwerling: When asked what offensive system he likes, Baron Davis said the Clippers & Warriors. Feels like he can play 15-20 minutes a game next year.
September 18, 2021 | 9:28 pm EDT Update
The Houston Rockets have waived forward Tyler Bey. This waiver was necessary to create the roster spot for Houston to re-sign Dante Exum. The Rockets signed Bey to a fully non-guaranteed training camp contract in late-August.
September 18, 2021 | 5:41 pm EDT Update
You’re here for at least the next five years now that you’ve signed an extension. Do you allow yourself to think – or dream – about what might come over that time span since you’ve talked openly about wanting to win a title in New York? Have you allowed yourself to think about how things might progress? Julius Randle: Obviously, it’s a process. Everything is a process. We’ve been building this from the ground up. But for me, personally, that is the expectation (winning a title in New York). That’s what I want to happen within that time frame. There’s a lot of things, factors that go into that. So obviously you’ve got to weigh that stuff in.
Julius Randle: But as far as myself, I know Thibs (Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau) is thinking (it as well), it’s just win at all costs. For me personally, that’s just how I prepare myself. I prepare myself to compete at the highest level of our game. Like I said, there’s a lot of factors (that go into winning an NBA title). But I trust Leon (Knicks president Leon Rose), I trust Thibs, Wes (Knicks vice president William Wesley), our coaches, Scott (Knicks GM Scott Perry) – all these guys, I trust. That was part of my process in thinking of signing the extension and that’s my goal, that’s our goal as a team and the guys that are around us. We want to be able to say that we won a championship here in New York. I don’t think there’s any better feeling than that.
Did you guys see the video clip of Trae Young at the Garden with WWE? Do you care about that stuff? Julius Randle: Yeah I see it. But honestly, I don’t care. Obviously, that’s (for) entertainment purposes and all that (stuff), so I let people enjoy it. For me, honestly, I don’t care. I honestly didn’t even watch it. Knicks fans, they’re going to make a big deal out of it – they didn’t like it (laughs). But it’s all fun and games and hopefully they enjoyed it.
September 18, 2021 | 12:10 pm EDT Update
The Rockets have officially re-signed guard Dante Exum and waived Tyler Bey to create a roster space for him, according to the NBA’s transactions log. Hoops Rumors’ JD Shaw was the first to report the Bey transaction (Twitter link). With John Wall not expected to play for the team this season as it seeks to trade him, the Rockets were in the market for another point guard. The Rockets’ interest in Exum surfaced on Tuesday.
When the Timberwolves traded up to get Leandro Bolmaro last November in the 2020 NBA Draft (yes, it was less than a year ago… it still feels weird), the question was would it be a year or two before Bolmaro came over from Barcelona to play in the NBA. The answer is one. Minnesota reached a deal and Bolmaro will be with the Timberwolves in training camp, the team announced Saturday. This is not a surprise; he was expected to come over this season. He will be playing on a rookie scale contract.