Warriors majority owner Joe Lacob spoke the thoughts of…

Warriors majority owner Joe Lacob spoke the thoughts of many Warriors fans and those in the organization regarding Patrick McCaw’s absence through training camp and entering the 2018-19 season. “I don’t really understand it,” Lacob told Bay Area News Group recently. “It completely befuddles me. I’m at a loss.”

More on Patrick McCaw Free Agency

Warriors general manager Bob Myers told Bay Area News Group last week that he still wants to retain McCaw despite spending his second year dealing with a back injury and inconsistency. The Warriors do not plan to add another player to their 14-man roster so they can maintain financial flexibility. Though they signed training camp invitee Alfonzo McKinnie to a two-year deal, his contract does not become guaranteed until Jan. 10. The Warriors also own McCaw’s rights and have three days to match any offer sheet he receives. “I’d love to see him come back,” Lacob said of McCaw. “But if he doesn’t, we move on.”
Patrick​ McCaw has​ gone​ dark. His​ teammates have been​ reaching out​ and​ they can’t get a hold​ of him, talk​​ some sense into him. McCaw officially stayed away from all of this Warriors training camp and missed the entire preseason slate. The regular season starts in three days. A few Warriors players talked to him before camp, advising him on what to do. But as his holdout has continued, he has not responded to several players checking in on him. Veterans, champions — the kind of men McCaw should be listening to — are being shut out. “You can’t do this after two years,” one player said. “You’ve got to get the clout first. He doesn’t have the leverage.”
Anthony Slater: As planned, Warriors will enter the season with only 14 roster guys. That vacant 15th spot can remain as a leverage point with still restricted free agent Patrick McCaw.
It appears plausible the Warriors could go through their entire training camp without any resolution with Patrick McCaw’s free agency. Yet, Warriors general manager Bob Myers told Bay Area News Group the team has not wavered in its hopes to re-sign the third-year wing player. “I’ll update you if there’s anything new,” Myers said.
“You don’t have to guarantee a player. You can two-way a guy. It doesn’t mean you’re filling the spot,” Myers said. “You could fill the spot if you chose to, but it’s not the only route we’ll go.” In other words, the Warriors may be willing to re-sign McCaw after the calendar year.
Beyond maximizing his earnings and security, McCaw has wanted a two-year deal so he could become an unrestricted free agent in 2020, sources said. Per terms of the collective bargaining agreement, McCaw would become a restricted free agent again next summer if he agrees to a one-year deal.
Connor Letourneau: Steve Kerr on how he handles things with McCaw still not here: "I just show up for practice, and whoever's there, that's who we coach. These young guys are doing a great job." The Warriors have to make a decision about that 14th roster spot by Saturday.
McCaw’s stance is more complicated but more important to understanding the current stalemate. He had a $1.7 million qualifying offer sitting on the table for months, which expired Monday night. He also had a two-year contract offer with a carrot for both sides — a $2-plus million starting salary for McCaw, which was larger than his qualifying offer, and a team option on that second year, sources indicated, which is an asset for the Warriors. McCaw’s representatives urged him to take one of the two choices, sources said, but he hasn’t.
That wouldn’t seem to make a ton of sense from a financial standpoint. After a rough second season that included a massive shooting slump, a fractured wrist and a nearly crippling back injury, McCaw didn’t find much of a market in restricted free agency. The Warriors’ guaranteed offer, it would appear, is the most lucrative available. But, reaffirmed by his Monday decision to let the qualifying offer expire, there’s something that’s becoming increasingly clear: This isn’t as much about money for McCaw as it is about opportunity. Sources indicate that both McCaw and his father, Jeff, who has become a vocal part of this process, believe a more expansive role is the best thing for his growth and eventual earning potential.
Anthony Slater: One team source on Patrick McCaw’s free agency strategy: “Bizarre.” Tough to imagine him returning at this point. It’s a 9th/10th man hardballing the defending champs. The locker room has noticed. But in long run, he’s betting on himself. On him to prove he’s right.
Shams Charania: Sources on @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium: Restricted free agent Pat McCaw plan to decline his Golden State Warriors' one-year qualifying offer, barring unforeseen change, allowing today's deadline to expire and keeping him RFA.
According to sources, McCaw is mulling over a two-year, $4 million offer from the Warriors. McCaw had been pushing to get a two-year deal from the team so he can be an unrestricted free agent in 2020. Time will tell whether McCaw will be with the team in the coming days, but those in camp don’t seem to be worried.
Connor Letourneau: Not seeing Patrick McCaw at Warriors practice. His QO expires tonight.
They're missing his presence, saving his roster spot and reluctant to move on from the missing man. "It'll never affect his standing amongst us as a human being, as a teammate," Kerr said of McCaw's absence. "We're going to support him, no matter what. But we also have to play. We've got a game tomorrow. We have to do our jobs."
Training camp starts in less than a week and Patrick McCaw still hasn’t signed his qualifying offer to return to the Warriors. And according to Mark Medina, he isn’t even listed on the training camp roster — yet. The young wing is still holding out on a bigger deal from the Warriors and it appears that neither side is willing to budge at the moment. McCaw saw his role reduce in his sophomore season because of added wing depth and a few injuries that held him out of a large chunk of the season.

http://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/1042891284820553728
If McCaw doesn’t show up, maybe the Warriors will just stage an open competition and see if one of those younger options seizes the opportunity. But the most likely result remains McCaw’s eventual concession. A similar situation happened with center Alex Len in Phoenix last summer. He didn’t love his $4.2 million qualifying offer. He dragged the process deep into the summer. He finally accepted it on Sept. 21, right before camp.
Marcus Thompson: “The [Warriors] roster is set. There’s just one guy they’re waiting for. Patrick McCaw has a qualifying offer, and from how it was explained to me, it’s just a matter of - there’s no rush for him to sign it. It’s just sitting there. If another opportunity comes up, maybe somebody gets injured in a camp, maybe somebody wants to take a flier on him because they need a player, McCaw is just waiting until the last possible minute. .... In the end, I expect him to sign it and come back.”
Monte Poole: To those asking about Pat McCaw's status with the Warriors: He can sign the qualifying offer ($1.74M) any day. There is no urgency, as the team is not expected to rescind. Meanwhile, Pat has flexibility if another offer develops.
And now — besides the still-to-settle Patrick McCaw restricted free agency, which is expected to end with his returning for his $1.74 million qualifying offer — it’s time for seven weeks of rest and vacationing before reconvening for the slow chase toward a fourth title in five years. Capture it or not next June, it’s been a legendary half-decade for the Warriors.
Bobby Marks: We now have 4 restricted free agents left on the board after the Marcus Smart signing: Clint Capela (HOU), Rodney Hood (CLE), Patrick McCaw (GSW) and Montrezl Harrell (LAC).
Mark Medina: Warriors announce the signing of Jonas Jerebko. Warriors now with 13 players under contract. Expected to re-sign Patrick McCaw soon and then leave the last roster spot open to save $$$ and keep flexibility
Monte Poole: Warriors indeed looking toward Jonas Jerebko and Pat McCaw, according to 2 league sources. If they land both, all but closes the door on adding an instant-offense type like Michael Beasley or Jamal Crawford.
Mark Medina: The Warriors officially re-sign Kevin Durant. Warriors have 12 players under contract & will be at 13 when Jonas Jerebko signs. They'll be at 14 presuming Patrick McCaw returns. Warriors likely to keep last roster spot open to save $$ and keep flexibility for next season.
Chris Haynes: Golden State has extended the qualifying offer to guard Patrick McCaw, making him a restricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN.
Logan Murdock: Steve Kerr said he’d love to get younger on the bench: “We’d love to get Loon and Patrick back.”
In less than three weeks, McCaw, will be a restricted free agent, and if all things go his way, he’d be in a Warriors’ uniform come next season. “I would love to be here,” McCaw said. “There’s no other place I’d rather be, this is all I know.”
Patrick McCaw will be a restricted free agent after the season and the second-year wing is “regarded as a top target” for teams as they look ahead to the 2018 free agent class, Bobby Marks of ESPN.com writes. Opposing teams like McCaw’s age and versatility and he could draw offers despite the restricted status.
Bobby Marks: One name that NBA teams have circled for next summer is the Warriors Patrick McCaw. Could come at a high cost for GSW to retain next July.
But if McCaw and the Warriors are intent on continuing their partnership, they could better sculpt a deal that helps both sides. “Who knows where I’ll be,” McCaw said. “Hopefully I’m still with Golden State. …To be a part of this team, this organization the first two years, to learn — because every organization is not like Golden State. To have guys, superstar level talented players taking pay cuts to keep something together means a lot to me being young, having a group of guys who want to be together no matter the cost. It’s huge. It’s unreal I’m in this situation right now.”
Storyline: Patrick McCaw Free Agency
More HoopsHype Rumors
December 1, 2020 | 1:57 am EST Update
Australian basketball great Andrew Bogut has retired from the sport effective immediately, leaving the nation without its most experienced campaigner ahead of next year’s Tokyo Olympics. Bogut, who won an NBA championship with Golden State in 2015, announced his decision on his podcast Rogues Bogues on Tuesday, citing a growing toll of injuries on his body. “The decision hasn’t been an easy one, but I think it is the right decision. The decision that I made and where I will be signing for next season is absolutely nowhere. I will be retiring from professional basketball, effective immediately,” Bogut said.
Storyline: Andrew Bogut Retirement?
Andre Iguodala believes Kevin Durant will be named the NBA MVP in the 2020/21 season. Iguodala picked Durant over his former teammate in the Golden State Warriors Stephen Curry. “I’m looking forward to seeing KD. My preseason MVP [pick],” Iguodala said in an appearance on “The Match: Champions for Change” broadcast, per Marcus White of NBC Sports Bay Area, via Clutchpoints.
Storyline: MVP Race
One of the differences fans might notice is Reddish has grown a bit since last season ended. Payne thought it might have been that Reddish’s hair got longer, but Payne and his staff all confirmed Reddish grew. It’s unclear how much he actually grew, but Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce also confirmed this at the end of minicamp. Reddish’s official height without shoes prior to the start of last season was 6-foot-7.5.
Home