As the legal fight rages over the billion-dollar arena the Clippers want to build in Inglewood, plans for the project are moving forward. The Federal Aviation Administration determined last month that 37 applications covering the bulk of the proposed Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Center pose no hazard to air navigation. The green-lighted structures include a hotel, parking garages, retail buildings and signage.
A spokesman for the developers said they “remain confident” the arena will open in 2024. The lease the Clippers have to play at Staples Center expires the same year.
Efforts to fast-track a new arena for the Los Angeles Clippers in Inglewood have ground to a halt because the California Air Resources Board does not believe the project meets the necessary environmental standards, according to a letter sent to both sides Tuesday by Gov. Gavin Newsom.
Newsom was disappointed to learn that the two sides had reached an impasse over “key questions related to environmental mitigations” for the proposed arena, according to the letter. However, the governor signaled that he would not intervene in the decision-making process by CARB, an independent body tasked with determining whether the Clippers can adequately prevent a net increase in greenhouse gases and other emissions.
But the superstars have helped the Clippers almost double the number of season tickets they have sold, from 5,200 last year to 10,000 so far this year. If the Clippers can win big, they can carry that kind of business momentum into the new arena they plan to open in Inglewood in 2024.
The day after the Clippers unveiled renderings for their proposed arena, the LA 2028 organizing committee said its current plans for the Summer Olympics remain unchanged. For now. With the Games in Los Angeles based on existing venues throughout the region — including StubHub Stadium, Staples Center and the Rose Bowl — organizers have traditionally kept their options open.
The Clippers’ proposed complex would also be in Inglewood and would include training facilities. Among other nearby venues, the Forum would host gymnastics and Pauley Pavilion would have wrestling. Construction on the Clippers’ new home is scheduled to begin in 2021, with the opening three years later, well in time for the Summer Olympics.
Steve Popper: Adam Silver on the legal battle between Ballmer and Dolan on LA Clippers arena - said he's spoken to them, but not a role for the league yet in it.
The Clippers and Inglewood officials did not give the public enough notice about a deal to build an NBA arena in the city, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office determined in a letter released today. When the City Council voted to enter into an “exclusive negotiating agreement” with the owners of the Clippers in June 2017, it did not include in its meeting agenda a description about the location of the proposed arena or the scope of the project, according to Deputy District Attorney Bjorn Dodd.
In the letter, Dodd also notes that the agenda item didn’t even include the name “Clippers.” Instead, the agenda said the city was considering entering into negotiations with “Murphy’s Bowl LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company (Developer).” Dodd said that “the generic name of Murphy’s Bowl LLC was used intentionally to obfuscate the identity of the proposed project.”
Inglewood residents say they’ve scored a victory in their efforts to stop the construction of a Clippers arena on public land. A Los Angeles County Superior judge issued a ruling today that will allow their lawsuit over the arena to proceed to trial. Residents are trying to stop construction by arguing that under the California Surplus Land Act, the land should have been shopped around as an affordable housing development site before it was ever eyed for an NBA arena.
The lawsuit also claims that Inglewood is ignoring additional state affordable housing laws that mandate that certain amounts of low-income housing be constructed within the city. Uplift Inglewood wants to compel the city to meet those thresholds and build more affordable units in Inglewood. The trial is set to move forward in September.
The day before the Clippers announced plans to explore building an arena in Inglewood, business mogul Irving Azoff floated an idea to Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and top advisor Linda Rambis about a move that could undercut the Clippers and prompt a seismic shift in the Los Angeles sports landscape. “Heres my dream,” Azoff emailed Buss and Rambis on June 14, 2017. “Rebuild the forum from scratch. Lakers plus music. boom.” The Lakers now say that vision won’t be realized, and they are believed to be discussing an extension to their Staples Center lease that runs through the 2024-25 season. “MSG approached the Lakers about the possibility of returning to the Forum following the end of our Lease at Staples Center in 2025, but nothing came from the discussions,” the team said Wednesday in a statement.
After discussing former Lakers player, coach and executive Jerry West joining the Clippers front office, Buss savaged the potential arena. “They are all crazy,” she wrote. “This is a joke. Why would Adam let this happen?” “Adam” is presumably NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. “He has no vote unfortunately,” Azoff responded. “It will be a long legal fight.” Buss used a nickname for Azoff when she wrote back. “We need to see you Nugget!!” she wrote. “Didn’t Ballz see what we did to my brother?? He will have nothing but Clippers basketball. Whoopee.”
The Clippers wanted to use 22 acres of vacant, city-owned land across West Century Boulevard from the NFL stadium development — parcels that had been leased to the Madison Square Garden Co., the New York-based sports and entertainment giant that owns the nearby Forum, for overflow parking. A year and a half later, the land is the subject of a bitter legal fight pitting Inglewood and Ballmer, the former Microsoft chief executive estimated by Forbes to be worth more than $42 billion, against MSG, whose holdings include the NBA’s New York Knicks, the NHL’s New York Rangers, esports teams and entertainment venues across the country, along with a stake in the Tribeca Film Festival. At the center of the case — and the negotiations that could further Inglewood’s metamorphosis into a sports mecca — is Butts.
Legislation that would streamline the state environmental review process for the proposed Los Angeles Clippers arena in Inglewood is on its way to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk after winning unanimous approval from the state Senate and passing on a 6-3 vote in the Assembly. Both votes occurred Friday as the state Legislature sprinted to complete its work as the 2017-2018 session came to a close.
Clippers management, which is eager to build a new arena for its team and move from its current hub at Staples Center, hailed the Legislative approvals even though it remains unclear whether the governor will sign the bill into law. "We are now one step closer to bringing the world's best basketball arena to a community that deserves the best," Clippers owner Steve Ballmer said in a statement late Friday. "... with the passage of this bill, we are proudly setting a new standard for environmental responsibility. AB 987 puts into writing the promise we've made to Inglewood from the start: to be exceptional neighbors who care passionately about the Inglewood community and its citizens."
Steve Ballmer: California's legislature signs off on a new home for the Clips! Thanks to @sydneykamlager and @SteveBradford for their leadership on the world’s best and most energy-efficient basketball arena -- an arena worthy of both Inglewood and all of LA. Go Clips!
The project proposal calls for a privately funded complex that would include an 18,000-seat arena, practice facilities, a sports medicine clinic, team offices and retail space under the title Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Center. Plans for the complex are continuing under a 36-month exclusive negotiating agreement the team's owners paid for with a $1.5 million nonrefundable deposit. The team's lease at Staples Center expires in 2024.
Arash Markazi: The new @ClippersArena would be located across the street from the new football stadium and Hollywood Park Casino. It would seat about 18,000 fans and cost about $1.2 billion. The arena, which would open in 2024, would also house the team’s practice facility and team offices. pic.twitter.com/AHBgPJpxjK
A group of Inglewood residents filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging the city violated state laws by entering into an exclusive negotiating agreement to develop public land for the Los Angeles Clippers' new stadium. This is the second lawsuit filed in the past three months against the City of Inglewood related to the Clippers' proposed stadium.
The latest lawsuit argues that that land should have been made available for affordable housing development before it was offered to the Clippers, as over 80 percent of Inglewood's population qualifies for some form of subsidized housing. "We don't know why they continue to push in the face of such strong residential opposition," said Dr. D'Artagnan Scorza, a local resident, school board member and member of Uplift Inglewood. "It doesn't make any sense to us except that they're facing a $17 million budget deficit as a result of financial mismanagement and they're probably trying to figure out a way to shore up the city's finances utilizing these projects."
An attorney representing Inglewood officials, including the city's mayor, called a lawsuit filed by Madison Square Garden a "sham" in court documents filed Monday. Madison Square Garden Co., owners of The Forum, sued Inglewood and Murphy's Bowl LLC — a Clippers-controlled company — over plans to explore a new arena in the city for the team. The lawsuit alleges fraud and breach of contract, claims attorney Skip Miller vigorously denied in the filing. "By its lawsuit, Madison Square Garden is trying to block the Clippers' move and construction of the arena, to impede competition and stifle the economic growth of Inglewood," the filing says.
Steve Ballmer: Today, we are expanding that investment by entering into an agreement to explore an opportunity to build a new arena for the Clippers in the City of Inglewood. I have said from day one that we need to plan for the future. This agreement helps us do that by expanding our options. The prospect of a new state-of-the-art NBA arena would allow us greater latitude to influence our game schedule, particularly as it relates to weekend games that are so important to our fans. We also want to offer our fans premium experiences in terms of technology, club spaces and other amenities; that’s easier to realize in a new arena.
Steve Ballmer: During the upcoming planning process, the Clippers and the City of Inglewood will work diligently together to evaluate this project in great detail. Regardless of where the Clippers take the court after 2024, I remain committed to helping the great city of Los Angeles and its citizens thrive. We look forward to sharing our progress as we continue along our journey to deliver championship results for our fans and the entire Los Angeles region.
The Inglewood City Council unanimously approved an exclusive negotiating agreement with the LA Clippers on Thursday that could lead to the construction of an arena for the NBA team across the street from the future home of the NFL's Chargers and Rams.
The agreement calls for a three-year negotiating period, including a six-month extension, with a developer to build a state-of-the-art basketball arena with 18,000 to 20,000 seats. It requires the Clippers to pay a nonrefundable $1.5 million deposit to cover costs associated with the planning. The proposed arena would be on a 20-acre parcel of land located across the street from the under-construction, $2.6 billion NFL stadium that is set to open in 2020. The Clippers' complex would include team offices, parking and a practice facility.
Brad Turner: Clippers owner Steve Ballmer will finance the stadium 100% with his own money, source. He did buy the Clippers for $2 billion.
The Clippers could be on the move. And in the process, supplementing the newest Los Angeles entertainment and sports hub and the future home of the Rams and Chargers. According to multiple sources, the Clippers and the city of Inglewood are closing in on entering an Exclusive Negotiating Agreement (ENA) on 22 acres of land between Prairie and Yukon Avenue south of Century Boulevard.
The Clippers, according to sources, will use the land to build a privately financed new arena. The ENA is subject to approval by the Inglewood City Council, which could happen as early as Thursday morning when the matter is expected to be voted on.
Brad Turner: Clippers closing in on an exclusive negotiating agreement for new arena in Inglewood, source said.
You don’t have to confirm or deny any of this, but I’ve heard rumors about you looking on the West Side for an arena, [or] you’re maybe gonna be involved with the [Stan] Kroenke thing in Inglewood. What is the ideal size of an NBA arena for you if you were building one from scratch? Did you study the Sacramento one? Have you looked at that? Because I think that’s the best one anyone’s built so far. Ballmer: There’s multiple ways to think about an arena.
Representatives of Steve Ballmer and Stan Kroenke, two of the richest owners in professional sports, have had multiple discussions about the Clippers joining the Rams and Chargers in the sports and entertainment district Kroenke is building in Inglewood.
Five people with knowledge of the conversations told The Times the arena could either be on the 298-acre site or an adjacent parcel. Either way, an arena would drive traffic to the planned mixed-use development and share parking with the $2.6-billion football stadium scheduled to open in 2019. The exploratory talks link two titans of sports and business with a sprawling project the NFL already considers transformational.
Inglewood is one of multiple sites the Clippers are exploring in a process that started more than a year ago. The Clippers aren’t settled on a course of action — staying at Staples Center or building a new arena — but the Inglewood discussions are part of their ongoing evaluation of potential options, according to the five people. “It’s too soon to say it would be L.A. Live lite, but if an arena were to bring 200 nights a year, that’s a tremendous amount of foot traffic that would benefit all the ancillary properties,” said a person familiar with the discussions who asked not to be identified in order to speak frankly about the situation.
December 3, 2021 | 8:18 am EST Update
And Wall’s remaining money is significantly more than Walker’s was. For a Wall buyout to make any sense for the Rockets, Wall would likely have to give up even more than Walker did to the Thunder — and there’s next to no chance Wall could make that up in his next deal. At any rate, that hasn’t been seriously discussed by either side as a possibility. “It’s hard for him at this point in time, when your salary doesn’t equal what your production is,” a sympathetic front office person from another team said Wednesday. “That’s hard for him. It’s hard for a lot of guys.”
But executives around the league believe Wall as an unrestricted free agent would have suitors he’d never see if his current deal remains in place. One general manager volunteered the Kyrie Irving-less Nets, in a reserve role behind James Harden, or the Bucks as viable destinations. That is, if Wall were playing for the minimum. “He’s still really good,” another GM with no current need at point guard texted. “Just not at the number he currently makes.”
Execs don’t think Wall would make much sense on young squads. That obviously includes Houston, whose future is tied up in Green, the second pick in this year’s draft, and Porter Jr. But how many teams with guard needs are actually contenders? The number is less than 10, maybe less than five. But it’s not zero.
New Portland Trail Blazers head coach Chauncey Billups questioned his team’s effort after a 114-83 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday night. The Blazers were without All-Star guard Damian Lillard but still put up little fight against a Spurs team which came into the contest six games below .500. “My biggest concern, I think, at the moment, is I want us to compete harder, man. I want us to compete harder,” Billups said. “I want us to be competitive in every game. And I don’t feel like every night we do that. We don’t. And it concerns me. And I’ve felt that way in a lot of our wins. This is not just after a loss, me saying this.”
“I’m still puzzled,” Wilkins said of his snub. “I remember Shaq telling me, ‘I didn’t deserve to be on this team before you. I was only in the league for a few years. I shouldn’t have been on it.’ I thought that was big of him to say that. I look at guys I competed with, and they know what I brought to the game. The biggest thing was guys like Shaq, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Jordan, Magic (Johnson) all said that it couldn’t be a 50 greatest list without me on it. That meant more to me than someone even selecting me because my peers knew what I brought. “I talked with Clyde Drexler recently, and he said, ‘Nique, you know how pissed we were when you weren’t on there? We knew what you did. You were a one-man wrecking crew and never had a great player to play with. All of us had other players.’ To hear stuff like that from great players, what more can I ask for?”
What gets lost in that story is despite Jordan going off for 61 points, the Hawks won. In the final seconds, Wilkins drained a jumper over Jordan to give the Hawks a lead. The Bulls had a chance to tie or go ahead on the final possession, but Wilkins stopped Jordan on the other end. “Last time I saw Mike I said, ‘Do you remember that happening?’ He goes, ‘I don’t recall it happening.’ I said, ‘Bullshit. Bullshit,’” Wilkins laughed. “Mike and I are good friends. We always respected each other. We lived to compete against each other. I played against a lot of great players, but one guy bought the most out of me, and that was playing against Michael. He’s going to bring it to you, and if you’re not ready to give it back, you already lost. “It was entertainment at the highest level. You’re playing against a killer who wants to win at any cost. Mike was a killer. He wanted to take your heart, but I had the same mentality. I wanted to take the heart of whoever was guarding me.”
Kemba Walker getting benched isn’t his problem, it’s his coach’s … so says Kenny “The Jet” Smith, who tells TMZ Sports the guard is a Ferrari and Tom Thibodeau doesn’t know how to drive it. The 31-year-old hooper was removed from the Knicks rotation earlier this week … as he’s been averaging career lows in almost every major category this season. Once backup Alec Burks came in and balled out with 23 points against the Hawks on Saturday, Thibs decided to pull Walker out of the starting lineup AND the rotation altogether.