A native of Hickory Hills, Illinois, Strus signed a two-way contract with the Chicago Bulls, allowing him to be closer to his family and friends. That aspect of being with his family while recovering from the injury, especially during a pandemic, has been a welcome sight for Strus as he prepares for a new season. “I’m from here, grew up here, I never really left Chicago,” Strus said.
Nearly nine months after Max Strus tore his ACL in a NBA G League game, Strus told The DePaulia that he has been fully cleared to resume normal basketball activities. Strus, who played at DePaul from 2017-19, suffered the injury while playing for the Windy City Bulls on Dec. 23. But almost nine months to the day of his injury, Strus has been given the thumbs up that he is fully healthy again.
As Strus is now cleared to resume basketball activities, he will get that chance again to make an NBA roster. Currently, there’s no start date confirmed for the 2020-21 NBA season, but the expectation is it begins some time in January. But Strus is continuing to stay ready for whatever his next opportunity will be. “I have worked my ass off to get here,” Strus said. “I’m ready for my next opportunity, I don’t know what this is going to be. Right now it’s a waiting game to see what next season is going to be like, and what opportunities I will have.”
Max Strus: Surgery was a success this morning. I’m in the hands of very good people and am not worried about what the future holds. I will attack my rehab and take it day by day. I’ll be back in no time. Thank you to those who have reached out. I’m all good 👍🏼 . • • • P.s. Don’t mind my eyes the drugs were starting to kick in
Chicago Bulls guard/forward Max Strus sustained a torn ACL and bone bruise to his left knee on Dec. 21 in the Windy City Bulls game against the Lakeland Magic at the G League Winter Showcase. The diagnosis was confirmed today by an MRI and a physical exam. Strus will undergo surgery in approximately three weeks after his swelling and discomfort resolves, and he is expected to be out for eight-to-12 months.
June 17, 2021 | 4:33 pm EDT Update
Tim MacMahon: Mark Cuban to ESPN: “I truly love Rick Carlisle. He was not only a good coach but also a friend and a confidant. Our relationship was so much more than basketball. And I know that won’t ever change.”
Brad Townsend: Confirming @Adrian Wojnarowski report that Rick Carlisle has informed the franchise that he’s stepping down as Mavs coach after 13 seasons, including the 2011 NBA title. Carlisle was scheduled to leave this weekend for Slovenia to spend time with Luka Doncic, as was Donnie Nelson.
Tim MacMahon: Luka Doncic is a strong supporter of Mavs assistant coach Jamahl Mosley. “He’s got the things that are needed for a head coach,” Doncic said after Mosely’s one-game fill-in for a win over the Knicks this season. “He can be the head coach, for sure.”
Bobby Marks: Longest tenured HC in the NBA 1. Gregg Popovich (SAS) 2. Erik Spoelstra (MIA) 3. Steve Kerr (GSW) 4. Quin Snyder (UTH) 5. Michael Malone (DEN) Rick Carlisle was #3
June 17, 2021 | 4:21 pm EDT Update
Adrian Wojnarowski: Rick Carlisle — who led Dallas to the 2011 NBA championship — informed Mavericks owner Mark Cuban today that he won’t be returning as coach next season, Carlisle told ESPN. Carlisle had two years left on his contract. He spent 13 seasons as Mavericks coach.
Tim MacMahon: There had been simmering tension between Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle that was a concern within the Mavs organization. The expectation was that he’d return next season, but he’d have been on the hot seat.