The league’s greatest concern surrounding the All-Star Game was not the 5% of players who traveled to Atlanta, but the other 95% who got to enjoy a five-day vacation—albeit with some restrictions on travel and continued daily testing. According to the NBA’s computer models, “it is likely we will have an uptick in positive cases when the guys come back” to their teams this week, Silver says. “There’s no doubt we’re introducing additional risks,” Silver says of players traveling during the break. “There’s absolutely no doubt. But yet it was felt to be needed and worth it for the overall physical and mental well-being of our players.”
June 16, 2021 | 7:40 pm EDT Update
Sarah K. Spencer: As expected, Trae Young (right shoulder soreness) is officially available to play tonight. Also: Brandon Goodwin (minor respiratory condition) is out. De’Andre Hunter (right meniscus tear) is out. Cam Reddish (right Achilles soreness) is out.
Marc Stein: NBA spokesman Mike Bass after criticism of the league schedule from LeBron James: “Injury rates were virtually the same this season as they were during 2019-20 while starter-level and All-Star players missed games due to injury at similar rates as the last three seasons. While injuries are an unfortunate reality of our game, we recognize the enormous sacrifices NBA players and teams have made to play through this pandemic.”
The Orlando Magic have awarded $17 million in design and construction contracts for their AdventHealth Training Center to 33 local minority- and women-owned business enterprises. That amount is significant in that it represents nearly 32% of awarded opportunities, which is above the city’s recommended 24% level for minority- and women-owned business enterprises participation.
The 130,000-square-foot facility will serve as the Magic’s practice and training site. It will be on a nearly 4-acre site at South Division Avenue and West Central Boulevard, one block from Amway Center. Construction began in September and the $70 million facility is scheduled to open in the spring of 2022. It was delayed about one year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
June 16, 2021 | 6:58 pm EDT Update
Warriors assistant coach Leandro Barbosa said coach Steve Kerr approached him about playing this season and doesn’t know why the opportunity never materialized. Barbosa, who specializes on the Warriors staff in mentoring players, acknowledged that the idea of him returning as a player after three years away from the NBA “wasn’t a joke at all” when injuries decimated the team’s rotation while the Warriors were in the playoff hunt.