NBA rumors: Pelicans, Knicks, Celtics and Nuggets interested in Reggie Jackson

More on Reggie Jackson Free Agency

Tomer Azarly: "We want them back as Clippers. We respect that they have a choice to make. With Kawhi, we hope to have a very long-term relationship with him... We'd like to bring Reggie, Nico back. We hope Serge opts in. We have other FA as well." Lawrence Frank on free agency.
Ohm Youngmisuk: Paul George wants Reggie Jackson back but knows there could be suitors: “Obviously Reggie has played himself into options in free agency. Rightfully so. He played his ass off.”
Adrian Wojnarowski: Free agent guard Reggie Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Clippers on a one-year deal, sources tell ESPN. Jackson is expected to play a prominent role in the Clippers backcourt rotation.
So far with the Clippers, he has averaged 20 minutes per game, which is great if he keeps them but there is no guarantee he is in their rotation during the playoffs. If Jackson proves he can be a contributor for a contender, like he was in Oklahoma City, that would be more impressive to potential suitors than filling up the stat sheet on a lottery team. If his tenure with the Clippers is successful, they are limited in re-signing him to either a minimum contract or via what will likely be the taxpayer mid-level exception (T-MLE). The T-MLE is currently projected at $6 million, which could be on the lower end of offers he will receive this summer.
The L.A. Clippers have signed free agent guard Reggie Jackson, it was announced today by President of Basketball Operations, Lawrence Frank.
For the Clippers, Jackson’s expected signing would come with another benefit — keeping him away from the Lakers, who also hold interest in signing him to bolster their backcourt. The Clippers also acquired another Lakers target, New York forward Marcus Morris, ahead of the Feb. 6 trade deadline. Jackson, however, had eyes on the Clippers because of his close friendship with forward Paul George.
After agreeing to a contract buyout with the Detroit Pistons, guard Reggie Jackson plans to sign with the LA Clippers upon clearing waivers, league sources told ESPN. Jackson had become the highest-impact player available in the buyout marketplace and had been a target of the Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers.
The re-signing of ex-Boston College standout Reggie Jackson by the Pistons for $16 million per season caused shock around the NBA because it appears Jackson, a restricted free agent, had no other serious suitor. Jackson, 25, who has been criticized for selfishness during his career, played well with the Pistons after being acquired from the Thunder at the trade deadline last season. Coach and team president Stan Van Gundy promised Jackson the Pistons would bring him back. Jackson’s patience paid off. He turned down a four-year, $48 million extension from the Thunder before being traded.
The Detroit Pistons have chosen their point guard of the future. Nearly five months after landing Reggie Jackson via trade from the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Pistons came to terms with their 25-year-old restricted free agent on a five-year, $80 million deal on Sunday. The deal was confirmed to USA TODAY Sports by a person with knowledge of the terms who spoke on the condition of anonymity because it can't be finalized until the free agency moratorium lifts on July 9.
Chris Broussard: Sources: Reggie Jackson just agreed to contract terms with the Detroit Pistons 5 years, $80 million. No options
Van Gundy has made it clear he wants Jackson to return and Jackson has stated publicly he expects to be back so the first item on the Pistons agenda seem likely to get done. Van Gundy said Jackson will be the first person he calls when free agency starts. “He’s priority No. 1, even above small forward,” Van Gundy said. “Priority No. 1. Reggie is priority No. 1. There’s nothing more important to our summer than getting that situation resolved.”
This rumor is part of a storyline: 33 more rumors
More HoopsHype Rumors
September 19, 2021 | 7:06 am EDT Update
Lakers legend Pau Gasol, Marc’s older brother, recently sat down with Spanish newspaper Marca as he discussed the future of his sibling. Pau’s response was cryptic, but it is clear that he is hoping that Marc returns to Spain: “Marc has earned the freedom and flexibility to make his own decision and he will do so when he decides,” Pau said (h/t Sam Yip of Fan Nation). “I know he has a lot of enthusiasm for Basquet Girona, a club in which I am also involved as vice president. He is in a different situation, because he is five years younger than me. We will see what he decides to do this season and later, I am also waiting.”
“I’ve been on him about things I need from him,” Billups said. “I said, ‘Nurk, I know you are going to be a free agent, and I understand you have to have a great year. You need me for you to have a great year, and I need you for us to have a good year. We need each other, right?’ “I’m going to give him every opportunity to have a great year. Because if he has a great year, that means we are a pretty damn good team. Because he is a good player. But that means he has to be focused and be in shape. Because you are only going to play as many minutes as you are physically able. If you are out there tired, uh-uh, come on, gotta get you out. There are good players behind you.”
It is unclear exactly what Nurkic and his role will look like under Billups, but to hear Nurkic talk, Billups has given him a vision of being more involved on both ends. Billups has been careful not to publicly define roles, but in general, he has preached that the offense will include more ball movement. “I just want to feel wanted, and I think I just need more support, and what I mean by that is different playing style, more inside-out game, more chance,” Nurkic said. “More chance to be successful and the position where they put you in. It’s all about the coach and where they put you, and I think Chauncey has figured out that certain people are going to have one to three points less, but the team is going to be way more successful with ball movement and playing together and be more fun. Even at the defensive end.”
Virtus Bologna’s win over LBA newcomer Tortona in SuperCup Quarterfinal game yesterday night was overshadowed by a serious injury occurred to Nigerian center Ekpe Udoh, who appears to have injured his patellar tendon in a no-contact situation. Former Fenerbahce center was taken out of the court in a stretcher and after the game coach Sergio Scariolo confirmed the seriousness of the injury, adding that the team will look for a replacement in the market: “He’s our cornerstone, both on attack and on defense. It’s dramatic, I hope that it serves to understand that you need to respect the players. Here there are stickers on the court everywhere, in the NBA it’s not the case. We will look for a replacement”.
Storyline: Ekpe Udoh Injury
However, if you ask former Suns forward Matt Barnes, the Suns aren’t favored to make it back to the Finals. In an episode of “The Jump”, Barnes had this to say. (via Fadeaway World, NBA on ESPN YouTube): “Love CP! Love Book! Experience is the best teacher and they have that now. But if the West is healthy, it’s going to be loaded, and it’s going to be tough [for the Suns] to get out. I wouldn’t bet on them, with all due respect. Like I said, great young team, one of the best floor generals we’ve ever seen in the history of this game. But again, a lot of things lined up perfect for them to do what they did last year.”