NBA rumors: Terence Davis to become restricted free agent

All it took was a future second-round draft pick for Kings general manager Monte McNair to acquire Terence Davis at the NBA trade deadline, but keeping him will be a lot more costly. Davis plans to turn down a $1.9 million qualifying offer from the Kings in order to become a restricted free agent, a league source told The Sacramento Bee. The 24-year-old guard will be seeking a new contract worth about $9 million per year, which would be slightly higher than the four-year, $34.6 million deal De’Anthony Melton signed with the Memphis Grizzlies in November.

More on Terence Davis Free Agency

The Kings have until Aug. 1 — the day before free agency begins — to extend a qualifying offer to Davis or he will become an unrestricted free agent. If the Kings tender a qualifying offer and Davis rejects it, he will enter restricted free agency, giving Sacramento the right to match any offer he receives. The Kings aren’t expected to have the salary cap space to match the kind of offer Davis is looking for, but the projected $9.5 million non-taxpayer mid-level exception could provide some flexibility. Under the Gilbert Arenas provision in the collective bargaining agreement, the first year of any offer sheet for Davis cannot exceed the value of the mid-level exception, so the Kings could use that money to re-sign him.
Jason Anderson: Asked Terence Davis if Sacramento feels like a long-term fit for him. "It's definitely looking like that. ... This is some of the best basketball I’ve played in my career. ... Everyone believes in everyone here. Guys are unselfish here & that’s the way you want to play the game.”
Shams Charania: Undrafted Ole Miss guard Terence Davis has agreed to a two-year deal with the Toronto Raptors, with full guarantee in Year One. Davis turned down two-way deals during the June NBA Draft; now signing full contract.
This rumor is part of a storyline: 9 more rumors
More HoopsHype Rumors
September 21, 2021 | 12:47 pm EDT Update
Right now, the Rockets have 14 fully guaranteed contracts for the season. Khryi Thomas, Armoni Brooks, Dante Exum and Daishen Nix are on non-guaranteed contracts. Matthew Hurt and Anthony Lamb are Houston’s designated two-way players. So how will the depth chart look like when camp officially opens next week? Before we dive in, there are a few things to note. This year’s group will spend time both in Houston and Galveston for camp, sources tell The Athletic. In past seasons, the Rockets have traveled to areas like Lake Charles, La., the Bahamas and Las Vegas.
Silas should have no trouble with ballhandling and half-court execution with names like Porter, Green and House on the floor together — Tate and Wood aren’t scrubs in that department, either. House also improved defensively last season even while taking a step back offensively (statistically speaking). He already has the upper hand heading into camp. Recently, he’s been developing on-court chemistry with Green. The Rockets have been hosting intra-roster scrimmages for the past few weeks, and sources say the Green-House-Sengun-Lamb team has been dominating. Green and House have played well off each other, which bodes well for the weeks ahead.
What have you done to improve your game this summer? Or what have you worked on mostly? Jaylen Brown: Mostly just trying to heal, and playmaking is one thing. I’ll definitely be more of a playmaker this season, for sure. Just making the right plays and empowering my teammates. I just want to win games, man. So, every year I just approach the season as just trying to get better. My body feels a lot better. I’m more athletic than I was last season. I had knee problems last year that were lingering and I hope that I won’t have this season. Somebody told me I had 12, probably like, 15 dunks in 58 games, or something like that. I’m like, ‘That’s not me.’ So, getting back to being athletic, running, just going having fun, being a playmaker, and having more responsibility. Different coach, so I’m looking forward to that journey and that process as well.
Will you be ready and participating at the beginning of Celtics training camp? Jaylen Brown: Yeah, that’s the goal. My wrist has been healing. Some days it’s better than others. I got to continue to push and work, but I’m excited to be there for camp. And I’m excited to be there with my teammates, and start to build, and start this journey, man. I missed a lot of time, so I’m looking at the season like I’m ready. I want to play. I’m ready. We started back so quickly [last season]. I didn’t really have an [offseason]. I was dreading coming into training camp, like, ‘Oh, man.’ I was already hurting. I had a good season, but my body barely kept up. So, this year I think I’ll be a lot better in that category.
Storyline: Jaylen Brown Injury
Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown was ecstatic to see seven new African American head coaches, including one for his own franchise, get hired in the NBA this offseason regardless of what the true motive may have been. “Whether it was because they were just trying to shut us up, or because they actually believed it was the right thing to do, it don’t matter to me. That representation is important,” Brown, a 24-year-old African American, told The Undefeated. “And that’s giving people access and resources that they need and deserve to have, especially former players. They deserve to have a seat at the table too, especially in coaching positions, as well as in-office positions, ownership positions. Those are important as well, especially if they’re qualified.