Schroeder seems much more likely to return but he could see this as his last opportunity to truly run a team full-time as he turns 28 this offseason and likely will have the momentum of a playoff run boosting his profile. Still, a return makes sense for both sides. Interestingly, the biggest risk with Caruso is that another team sees him as capable of a role larger than the Lakers can offer and pay commensurate with that increased role but the combination of title contention and their capacity to pay him using Bird rights makes Caruso likely to return as well. Here, age could work in the team’s favor as Caruso being 27 means other teams will be less tantalized that there is massive untapped long-term potential that will make him far better with them. That could stall the market a little and help the Lakers’ books.
More Rumors in this Storyline
That means the Lakers could have competition to keep their role players. As an athletic guard who can defend, unrestricted free agent Caruso will have suitors. League executives think he could draw interest at the full midlevel exception range, which is $9.5 million next season. (Caruso currently earns $2.7 million.)
Bobby Marks: Update on LAL cap situation: The team still has the $4.8M room ML. Since the team did not exhaust all of their cap space yesterday ( $1.7M remaining), they can still sign Alex Caruso (had a $1.6M cap hold) using the using early bird provision and exceed the cap.
Bobby Marks: Looks like LAL will use part of the $4.8M room ML to sign Alex Caruso. After a busy day of signing 5 players and finalizing the AD trade, LAL is about a $1M+ below the salary cap. The remaining room could be used to sign second rd. pick Talen Horton-Tucker to a 2+ contract.
Adrian Wojnarowski: Free agent guard Alex Caruso has agreed to a one-year deal to return to the Lakers, league source tells ESPN.
Adrian Wojnarowski: Deal: two years, $5.5M
Bobby Marks: Looks like the remaining room for LAL goes to Caruso. The Lakers would could still have the $4.8M room ML. Roster is now up to 13.
Tania Ganguli: The Lakers are extending qualifying offers to Alex Caruso and Johnathan Williams. Williams becomes a two-way player if he accepts.
Dave McMenamin: Can confirm LA Times report that the Lakers will extend qualifying offers to Alex Caruso and Johnathan Williams. LAL will be challenged with filling out the roster with young players after the AD trade. Caruso, in particular, has a lot of fans in the organization.
Eric Pincus: Some detail on Caruso qualifying offer. Takes up $1.6 mil in space (but removes $900k roster fee) . If revoked, cap hold drops to $1.4 mil. If he agrees to sign at min, they can revoke, renounce and he’s off their cap. Then when over, sign him at min. Rights restore in 2020
After the first signings for the next season, Pargo had shown skepticism about his potential stability in Tel Aviv but at the beginning of July, the talks between the two sides started to intensify again. Maccabi was looking also at the other options, including Alex Caruso, a source told Sportando. Caruso was considered as a main target by Maccabi, a source told Sportando, but the player is still under contract with the Los Angeles Lakers and, for the moment, the NBA franchise has no intention to part ways with him, a league source told Sportando.
The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Alex Caruso to a two-way contract, it was announced today by General Manager Rob Pelinka. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.
The Lakers are signing Alex Caruso, their summer league sensation, to a two year deal. It’ll be a two-way contract so he can also develop in the GLeague.
Chris Reichert: Caruso becomes the second player to sign a 2-year, two-way deal along with Sumner in Indiana #GLeague
Emiliano Carchia: The Los Angeles Lakers agreed to a deal with Alex Caruso, per sources
Storyline Hype Rumor visits per day for the last week
Views per day
April 18, 2021 | 3:21 am EDT Update
Blake Murphy: Freddie Gillespie will sign a second 10-day contract with the Raptors tomorrow, per a source. No surprise. He played a lot by 10-day standards, impressed, and had Nick Nurse publicly vouch. Would think a partial guarantee through 2021-22 comes Apr 28, barring the unforeseen.
“I wouldn’t say (my passion has been) taken away, that’s probably a little bit too strong,” VanVleet said on Saturday. “But there’s certainly ups and downs to this thing more than I’ve ever experienced in my life. To be honest, this is probably the most unpure year of basketball I’ve ever been a part of, just from the whole league and rushing the season back. “It’s pretty much all about business this year on every level and it’s hard to hide it, you know what I’m saying? The NBA is a great balance of like the pure love and joy of one of the best sports in the world mixed with a billion-dollar industry, and I think this year the industry side has taken precedence over some of the love and the joy.”
“I can sit up here and complain about the NBA all I want to, but I’m a part of it, you know what I’m saying?” VanVleet said. “I’m directly profiting off of it. We did vote on what season we wanted. “But I can point out that this is what it is, and (these are the) the pros and cons that come with that. It’s very conflicting but not so much (because) of my craft, because I just go out there and that’s the way I play and that’s the way I approach every day. I’m (going to) take whatever consequences come with that because this is what I signed up for. But there’s certainly a lot of information that plays a role in all of these things that we’re seeing with our eyes. It’s not as simple as it looks all the time.”
After Celtics star Jayson Tatum scored 44 points to lead his team to a 119-114 victory over the Golden State Warriors on Saturday, overcoming a spectacular 47-point performance from Stephen Curry in the process, Tatum said it was a thrill for him to go toe-to-toe with the future Hall of Famer and come out on top. “Just mutual respect,” Tatum said, when asked about the conversation the two had on the court inside TD Garden afterward. “Obviously two big performances. I was glad that we got the win, but obviously he’s one of the all-time greats. “Just to earn his respect and get a win on the same night … it was a good night.”
Golden State Warriors star guard Stephen Curry scored 47 points on Saturday night, becoming the first player since Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant to score at least 30 or more points in 10 straight games at age 33 or older. Curry, in his 12th NBA season, acknowledged that this is one of the best stretches he’s ever been on during his storied career.
“Statistically, it is for sure,” Curry said after the 119-114 loss to the Boston Celtics. “This season’s required something a little bit different. I’m trying to meet that moment. It’s a fun brand of basketball, just trying to put wins together with it. And I have supreme confidence; I’ve been blessed with a very special skillset that I’m trying to continue to master and hone and get better at. And that’s showing, the work is showing, so I’m trying to obviously sustain that for this season because it’s required for us to get to where we want to go.”