Storyline: Draft Early Entries

453 rumors in this storyline

More Rumors in this Storyline

After two seasons and 47 games as a Kansas Jayhawk, sophomore center Udoka Azubuike is at least curious to hear what NBA evaluators have to say about his game. Azubuike, who started 34 of KU’s 39 games this season and improved his numbers across the board from his 11-game injury-shortened freshman season, has decided to test the NBA waters by entering the draft process. Azubuike will not hire an agent, leaving open the possibility that he could still return to Kansas for his junior season the way Svi Mykhailiuk did one year ago.

Villanova redshirt sophomore guard Donte DiVincenzo (Wilmington, Del.) will enter his name into the 2018 National Basketball Association Draft process but won’t hire an agent, it was announced today. In his second full season as a Wildcats guard, DiVincenzo enjoyed a breakout 2017-18 campaign, earning BIG EAST Sixth Man of the Year and NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player honors. He averaged 13.4 points and 4.8 rebounds over the course of the campaign and moved into the starting lineup for eight games during Phil Booth’s absence in January and February (broken bone in left hand).

“Y’all only saw my son do the speed limit,” the elder Trent Sr. said in phone interview on Saturday. He said his son, and Duke’s other players, had to sacrifice some of their abilities in order to try to win a national championship. Duke finished with a 28-9 record and lost 85-81 in overtime to Kansas in the NCAA tournament’s Elite 8. Trent Sr. said the way the system was designed, his son brought something that was needed and that’s how he was used.

Trent Sr. said his son is without a doubt signing an agent. His son’s dream has not been to make it in the NBA, but “to stay in the NBA,” he said. “If I didn’t feel my son had a strong enough mindset, a strong enough character and a strong enough work ethic, I would not recommend this for him and he would not consider it himself,” he said. This is not a forced decision by Duke. This is not a forced decision by his family. This is a dream that he wanted to pursue.”

Towson men’s basketball sophomore guard Zane Martin has declared for the NBA draft but has not hired an agent, leaving open the possibility that the Tigers’ top player could return next season. Martin, a second-team All-Colonial Athletic Association selection whose scoring average (19.8 points per game) more than tripled his output as a freshman (5.5), revealed his draft intentions in a tweet last week, but the school did not announce his decision officially until Wednesday.

After a stellar run through the postseason, the Journal-World has learned that Kansas sophomore Malik Newman is headed to the NBA Draft and will be forgoing his remaining eligibility at KU. After a long conversation with Newman’s father, Horatio Webster, it became clear that his son had made the decision to turn pro after two seasons and three years as a college athlete. KU officials confirmed the news just after 5 p.m. on Wednesday via a press release announcing Newman’s departure.

Junior guard Matt Morgan announced Monday on Twitter his intention to declare for the NBA Draft, after leading the Ivy League in scoring for the third straight year. […] Morgan said while he hopes to be drafted by an NBA team, he will return to Cornell for his senior season if he isn’t selected. “I’m going into this process with the intention of getting selected to play for a NBA organization, but I don’t want to lose my last year of college if that opportunity isn’t there for me,” he said.
3 weeks ago via WDRB

Moritz Wagner may have ended his standout Michigan career in the national title game. But in the moments afterward, he wasn’t keen to talk about his future. After Michigan’s 79-62 loss to Villanova, Wagner declined to say whether he’s thought about whether he will return to Michigan for his senior year or declare for the NBA draft. “This night has nothing to do with next year, it has to do with Duncan Robinson, Muhammad and Jaaron,” Wagner said, referencing Michigan’s seniors. “Their career is over.”

Jackson is pegged among the top-10 in almost every mock draft, as high as No. 3 overall by both ESPN and Sports Illustrated. “Spartans, this was not an automatic decision,” Jackson wrote. “And honestly, thank you for making it one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to think about. While playing in the NBA was always my dream and desire, I did not know the opportunity would present itself in quite this way. I’m ready to live my dreams and I cannot pass it up.”

Michigan State men’s basketball sophomore forward Nick Ward will submit his name for the 2018 NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. Ward will put his name into the NBA Draft, making him eligible to be selected in the June 21 draft. He will be able to start attending workouts with teams April 24 and is eligible to compete in the NBA Draft Combine, if selected, from May 16-20 in Chicago. He then has 10 days (May 30 deadline) to weigh his options and keep his name in or withdraw and return to Michigan State.
More HoopsHype Rumors
April 23, 2018 | 9:25 pm UTC Update