Storyline: Kelly Olynyk Injury

91 rumors in this storyline

More Rumors in this Storyline

Kelly Olynyk went through the morning shootaround but was held out for a fifth consecutive game due to a strained left shoulder. The Heat next play Saturday night against the Memphis Grizzlies at AmericanAirlines Arena, before a two-day break. “He’s not ready to play, but he’s progressing. He’s getting better — still not full contact,” coach Erik Spoelstra said. “It’ll heal on its own time. He is getting better. He’s making progress. He’s getting ready to play. As long as he’s getting better, that’s a good sign for me.”

“When the time comes it will come,” Olynyk said. “You don’t want to force it, you don’t want to push anything and go backwards at all. Every day you come in here, you want to take a step forward. That’s the goal every time you come here and every time I wake up, to take a step forward towards playing a bunch of minutes. … For me, it’s all about when you’re comfortable and when you feel like you’re ready, then we’ll be back. “It’s part of the shoulder — they said it’s going to take five or six months and I think five months was Oct. 16. So we still have about three weeks left, which is probably the middle of November, I guess, is what he’s thinking in terms of the timetable we were told at the start. It’s feeling good and the strength is coming and the stamina is coming. It’s just a matter of getting it to where we want it to be before we put it at risk.”

But Olynyk isn’t quite ready to commit to having it surgically repaired this summer, a summer in which the Canadian National team for which he is a key member, is still in the process of trying to qualify for the summer Olympics in Rio. “If I rest it, I would definitely partake in the Olympic (qualifying tournament),” Olynyk told CSN at a fundraising event for Horizons for Homeless on Sunday. “That would be the reason to not get surgery at this point. If you rest it, it’ll get better but never solve the problem. That’s what we’re looking at.”

Getting surgery immediately would still likely result in him missing some or all of training camp. And depending on how his shoulder responds following surgery, he could potentially miss the start of the season. That’s why Olynyk said he’ll make a decision very soon. “I’m still looking at it,” Olynyk said. “Probably make a decision sooner than later because the recovery is so long if you do get it. It’s hard to give up, Olympics, but when you do look at it, if you get hurt it’s even worse to give up the next season. It’s a tough decision.” “The doctors are saying it’s kind of inevitable,” Olynyk said.
More HoopsHype Rumors
October 14, 2019 | 9:25 pm EDT Update