This may be what Russian collusion looks like. Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov saw his stake in the team rise in value by 270 percent in just three years. His stake in 2015 appears to have been bought at an artificially low price. Forest City Enterprises in 2015 attempted to sell its 20 percent stake in the Brooklyn Nets, and the team’s controlling owner Prokhorov did not make it easy for it to find an outside buyer. He withheld financial information from prospective buyers, sources with direct knowledge of the deal said at the time.
More Rumors in this Storyline
After NBA commissioner Adam Silver confirmed Joe Tsai’s deal to buy 49 percent of the Nets, team owner Mikhail Prokhorov said the e-commerce billionaire will be a fantastic partner and a boon for the entire league. “Just we are finishing the deal. I think Joe is a great partner and will help the game and help the NBA,” Prokhorov told The Post after watching his Nets pull out a come-from-behind 103-98 victory Tuesday night over the Wizards at Barclays Center.
Joseph Tsai, the executive vice chairman and co-founder of Chinese e-commerce goliath Alibaba, has reached an agreement in principle to purchase a 49 percent minority stake in the Brooklyn Nets that includes the option to acquire controlling interest of the NBA franchise in several years, league sources told ESPN.
The purchase price will be based upon a $2.3 billion valuation of the team, league sources said.
Mikhail Prokhorov is in talks with multiple suitors to sell the Brooklyn Nets — and he’s pushing for an eye-popping price tag. The Russian billionaire is demanding a valuation of around $2 billion for his money-losing NBA team — near the record-setting $2.2 billion price that the Houston Rockets fetched earlier this month, sources told The Post.
Nets Daily: Hearing that negotiations for sale of minority stake in Nets are active. Don’t know if imminent or who’s interested just that talks active.
Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov is getting closer to selling the Brooklyn Nets, sources told The Post.
There are multiple suitors late in the process to buy a 49-percent stake in the struggling NBA team, along with the right to buy a larger stake and become the controlling owner in three years, sources told The Post. The sale does not include Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.
Despite a league-low payroll, the Nets lost $44.3 million last year, according to confidential league documents obtained by ESPN’s Zach Lowe. That’s the league’s second biggest loss, behind only the Pistons who lost $45.1 million. The Pistons’ losses were actually much greater. The Nets did not receive revenue-sharing money from the league and their profits from Barclays Center are not included in the analysis. The Pistons, on the other hand, lost $63.2 million before collecting revenue sharing last season, “the largest loss by a wide margin,” Lowe notes. Detroit doesn’t own its own arena, unlike the Nets.
The Nets, said the league source, have never made money in Brooklyn and didn’t make money their last years in New Jersey under Bruce Ratner and before that under the late Lewis Katz and Raymond Chambers. Ratner, in fact, ran up record debts financing the Nets losses. When he sold the team in 2010 to Mikhail Prokhorov, the team had $200 million debt, nearly identical to the team’s value at the time. Lowe notes that the materials he obtained did not discuss the profit-and-loss picture for teams like the Nets who own their own arena.
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, while focused on selling a minority stake in the franchise, has warmed recently to the possibility of offering a controlling slice of the team, sources close to the situation said. The change of heart comes after the initial reaction to the minority stake sale was weak — and with interest in the Houston Rockets sale heating up, one source said. The Nets believe some of the suitors who look at the Rockets will also take an interest in them, sources said. “As word gets out about the new Nets process, some of the Rockets interest may spill over,” a source said.
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has told Russian media he’s selling a 49 percent stake in the NBA club. The Russian billionaire announced his intention to sell a minority stake in December, and now says “49 percent of the Brooklyn shares are up for sale,” in comments reported by R-Sport.
Ohm Youngmisuk: Mikhail Prokhorov reiterated he will remain majority owner of the Nets and said he is actively searching for a minority ownership partner to “strengthen” the team’s presence in New York. “I’m passionate about owning the Nets and our emerging sports and entertainment businesses, and will continue to look at growth opportunities,” Prokhorov said in a statement. “… I’m proud of the steps we’ve taken this year, including the opening of the world-class HSS Training Center and developing a new culture with GM Sean Marks and Head Coach Kenny Atkinson. I’m committed to the Nets and will remain the majority owner of the team.”
According to a Nets insider, the Russian oligarch would like to sell up to 49 percent of the Nets, but NOT the other assets held by Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment: Barclays Center, Nassau Coliseum, and the Brooklyn Paramount Theater. There’s no indication that Prokhorov has set any deadline for a sale or who might be interested.
Scott Soshnick: BREAKING: @BrooklynNets hire Allen & Co.’s Steve Greenberg to find local minority investor #sportsbiz #NBA
Mikhail Prokhorov’s Moscow-based spokesperson, Ellen Pinchuk, has reiterated the Nets owner’s position that he intends to hang on the team. “He has no plans to sell the team.” Pinchuk told the Post’s Page Six.
Other league sources say that both Prokhorov and his CEO, Dmitry Razumov, remain convinced they can turn the team around. Rumors of his intention to sell have risen and fallen over the last year. Prokhorov has said he’s willing to sell a piece of the team and arena, but there’s no indication of any active discussions. Prokhorov bought the remaining share of the team (20 percent) and Barclays Center (55 percent) as well as an 85 percent share in Nassau Coliseum from Bruce Ratner just before Christmas.
Chris Mannix: Prokhorov says he has “no ideas to sell” the Nets. Says he is happy being 100% owner of the team. Says he has had offers for the team.
Tim Bontemps: Prokhorov: “I take full responsibility for the state of the team.”
Storyline Hype Rumor visits per day for the last week
Views per day
January 16, 2019 | 5:59 am EST Update
LeBron James will miss at least the next two games for the Lakers as he continues to rehabilitate a strained left groin, his agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, told ESPN on Tuesday. James has missed the past 11 games since suffering the injury on Christmas Day at the Golden State Warriors, and the Lakers have gone 4-7 in his absence, including Tuesday’s 107-100 win against the hapless Chicago Bulls at Staples Center.
James will have his groin injury re-evaluated in Los Angeles on Wednesday — the three-week mark since the injury occurred — and will not accompany the team on its two-game trip to Oklahoma City and Houston, Paul told ESPN.
But Walton’s seat seems as hot as any around the league these days. And he’s …. absolutely fine with it? “It’s the best job in the world and I love the challenge that we have,” Walton told ESPN in a recent interview. “It’s challenging, it’s hard, it’s sleepless nights. But it’s also awesome.”
As one Lakers insider put it, the Lakers hired Walton because they believed in his potential in the same way they believed in their lottery picks. While it was a different regime that hired him, the belief in his potential remains strong.
“He’s competitive as hell, but I think the way he’s handling this year, I don’t know if I could do a better job,” Rondo told ESPN. “It’s tough: He’s having to teach at the same time as he’s trying to get wins, managing egos and dealing with vets and leadership.
Tania Ganguli: This is not the first time Kyle Kuzma has provided a message of support for Luke Walton in the face of questions about his job security. Here’s what he said tonight.